House Rewire

The appliances are free standing and there are no children about. .
The question is "can you unplug the free standing appliance without first having to move the appliance ? "

Athough very unlikely a appliance could fail in way that makes it metal case become live.. ( a vibrating machine cutting through it's supply lead, first went the earth wire and then the sharp edge of the case got into the live wire. )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether that is a joke or not lol :LOL:

I personally like the isolators. Not much effort to install. The ring can continue and remain above the counter.

I tend to leave appliances switched off unless they are in use or going to be used soon.

Is there not an MCB labelled "Kitchen Sockets"?
Probably, ... But turning that off would mean no kettle to make tea until the washing machine ( or other faulty machine ) was dragged out and unplugged.
True, but in relation to events which you have admitted are very unlikely (hence very rarely, if ever, experienced by any given householder) I would not describe it as 'the end of the world' to have to take the kettle into a different room to make my tea!!

I personally like to have a means of disconnecting electricity fairly close (but not too close, in case of fire, live cases etc.) to, and dedicated to, an appliance, but I can understand that others do not feel the need.

Kind Regards, John

I have a list of all the electrics that daughter wants doing. Do I list those on paper and give them to the electrician(s) to quote or do they give me an itemized quote.

List them on a piece of paper and then give them to your daughter, along with a copy of the Yellow Pages or if she wants to save some cash and learn a new skill, a copy of BS7671. If I suggested to my parents that they arrange a house rewire for me, they'd tell me I was having a laugh!

As to child proof out cooker has a child lock, when grand children visited I activated the child lock, it would seem my wife is still a child at heart she could not work out how to use cooker.

It would seem it does not matter how many times I tell my wife not to place magnetic attractable objects on the cooker she still does. As yet we have not tried cooking a knife but more good luck than anything else. The amount of times I have found the hot plate left switched on I have lost count. Lucky up to now timed out before any magnetic attractable objects have been placed on the heat area.

It would seem the more safety items that are included the more my wife finds a way to defeat them.

I remember our first electric cooker. It had a porcelain former with a resistance coil got from Woolworths wrapped around it and when it failed often the wire would contact the pan. We knew the dangers and were careful never got a belt from it. Although we now have one of the safest electric hobs which auto turns off after set time or pan removal or over heat, has child locks, and temperature is less than temperature of pan in real terms there is a greater danger as my wife relies on the safety features. Some day she will treat my sons gas hob the same which has non of the safety features it is darn right dangerous even has a naked flame.

I am not convinced that the so called safety features make it safer, it just makes the user act in a lazy faire way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back