House Sockets Tripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My washing machine tripped the RCD today and I noticed my house socket where also tripped, when I went to turn on the house sockets the switch tripped again but let me put it on the second time.

Any idea what could be causing that.

Strangely the kitchen sockets are on a different fuse in the CU but they had not tripped.

Thanks
Sam

Sponsored Links
The washing machine. Maybe water has got into areas where it isn't meant to be.

My tripped do you mean an RCB, RCBO or an MCB

There's nothing strange about the kitchen sockets being on a different circuit.

When I checked the CU the RCD switched had tripped and so did the House Sockets, I heard a pop from the washing machine and now it won't power on anymore and engineer is coming to check that.

But I have noticed of late the house sockets have tripped a couple of times and when I go to turn it back on the house sockets trip again but the second time I switch them back on it takes and everything starts working again.

RCDs sometimes do trip again. Often it is necessary to turn off the MCBs, reset the RCD, then turn the MCBs on again.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't the RCD that tripped again it was the sockets MCB, as soon as I put it up it pops back down but if I pop it up again immediately it takes and everything turns back on.

I am thinking the washing machine is just a coincidence though, if it was the washing machine wouldn't that trip the Kitchen sockets rather than the house sockets?

The issue I am reporting more is that when the washing machine blew it tripped the RDC switch and the house sockets MCB. When I try to enable the house socket MCB it trips while I am pushing it back up, but when I push it up again it takes and stays on this time.

All new sockets have been recently put in (brushed steel ones) and the washing machines had had a new DP switch that controls the washing machine, wiring looks fine and the switch turns on/off correctly and neon on the front goes off and on as it should.

GzZbtUC.jpg

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

I am thinking the washing machine is just a coincidence though,
See below.

if it was the washing machine wouldn't that trip the Kitchen sockets rather than the house sockets?
There is no way an appliance can trip the MCB of another circuit.

Are you sure the WM is on the kitchen circuit?
Does it go off when you switch off the house mcb?

So, if not the WM, what was being used on the house socket circuit?

The issue I am reporting more is that when the washing machine blew it tripped the RDC switch and the house sockets MCB.
Make up your mind.

When I try to enable the house socket MCB it trips while I am pushing it back up, but when I push it up again it takes and stays on this time.
Ok.

All new sockets have been recently put in (brushed steel ones) and the washing machines had had a new DP switch that controls the washing machine, wiring looks fine and the switch turns on/off correctly and neon on the front goes off and on as it should.
Ok, again.

Switch off the WM switch and see what happens.

When the House Sockets MCB are down (off) the washing machine will stay on, if the Kitchen MCB is down (off) the washing machine socket goes off.

Let me go back to the beginning of what happened and keep in mine I think he washing blowing is just a coincidence.

1. The washing machine went to start its spin, I heard a POP come from it and the whole house went dead. I checked the the CU and in the consumer using the RCD switch was down and the house sockets MCB was down.

2. I put up the RCD and went to put up the house sockets MCB which tripped and made a pop when I put it back up, I put it back up for a second time and it stayed there.

Went back to the washing machine and its no longer working at all (switch is fine) but I am thinking the washing machine blowing is just a coincidence as there may be a fault there.

My point is that as you say we take out the washing machine from the picture as that can't blow the house sockets, I am wondering more why the house sockets would trip as soon as put back up and then work second time pushing it back up.

When the House Sockets MCB are down (off) the washing machine will stay on, if the Kitchen MCB is down (off) the washing machine socket goes off.
Right.

Let me go back to the beginning of what happened and keep in mine I think he washing blowing is just a coincidence.

1. The washing machine went to start its spin, I heard a POP come from it and the whole house went dead. I checked the the CU and in the consumer using the RCD switch was down and the house sockets MCB was down.
So, not a coincidence, it is obviously faulty.
That could trip the RCD but not an MCB on another circuit.

2. I put up the RCD and went to put up the house sockets MCB which tripped and made a pop when I put it back up, I put it back up for a second time and it stayed there.
Ok. That sounds like a fault was still there and now you have burnt it away.

Went back to the washing machine and its no longer working at all (switch is fine) but I am thinking the washing machine blowing is just a coincidence as there may be a fault there.
Alright.

My point is that as you say we take out the washing machine from the picture as that can't blow the house sockets, I am wondering more why the house sockets would trip as soon as put back up and then work second time pushing it back up.
As above. Is anything else NOT working?

Hi, if you switch a mcb on while under load it may trip due to the 'in rush' current of all the items plugged in trying to switch on all at once.
It is not good for the equipment especially IT or audio kit. With the mcb switched off, go round and turn items off before switching the power back on.
You would appear to have a duff washing machine, and a working RCD,that's the right way round ! You don't want a duff RCD.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back