House supply over head, and no main earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My house is supplied by overhead cable to the service head, through the meter then a main rcd to an old type cu, which i intend to change for a split load type.
The only earth i can find is connected to the gas pipe, 10.0mm, which runs to an earth block and from there to the cu. i'm unsure if this is safe or if anything else is needed to bring it up to date.?
There also seems to be some bonding on the pipework around the water tank.
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is very wrong, and does not comply with the wiring regs. You need a proper earth rod. You could install one yourself, but given that you'd need to get an electrician to test it, you might as well have him install it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Don't know what the best way is to go with this. Have been hours on the phone to the electricity co, being put round different departments, eventually got the technical help desk. They left a message saying they can convert to a pme connection but did not say if i have to pay or if it's down to them, any ideas how much this would cost ?, They also said that i need to get a sparky in to up date the cross bonding before they would make the connection .

Where are you?? Some recs will provide this service FOC, but some do charge.

Yep, the main equipontential bonding will need upgrading before they connect. (water, gas where it enters building).

WPD (my neck of the woods), does it free, as with new tails aswell.

Area is orpington in kent, seaboard energy. ( e.d.f. )
Up grade bonding, earth block, 16mm2 to cu, meter, stopcock centralheating system. When this is done do i just call them to come and connect ?.
Foward thinking hear whilst power is of do they remove the rcd ?. If so i'll have an isolator installed at the same time , can you reccomend one ?.
Thanks.

Mine is like this:

1098914857_iso.jpg

M & G 125A iso plus WF enclosure drilled top & bottom for tails.

Bit OOF, I'm afraid!

dodgy connection of tails to meter there

was that done by you or the rec?

Me, but then the tails were re-connected by REC. The guy said there ought to be a small section of the colour-coded insulation showing.

Not as bad as the house I went to last week, where you could see copper hanging out of meter!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back