House Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house that I suspect was rewired approx 3 years ago. I've checked the cabling behind sockets and light switches and it's all thick, grey shielded cabling -- which I've been told is at least semi-modern.

My issue starts with the fusebox. It's an old Wylex one, with 6 rewireable fuses (2x30,2x6,2x15) from memory. Since it's all split rather well I'm not too worried about the quality of the work - from what I've seen terminations look clean and tidy. What concerns me is why would you bother to rewire a house back then, but not swapout the fusebox for a modern consumer unit?

It's started to worry me that it was not done because a CU is less "forgiving" to wiring faults, and that installing it would lead to constant tripped breakers.

I was just looking for some advice on people experiences with this before I go ahead and get a CU installed.

Sponsored Links
bron said:
It's started to worry me that it was not done because a CU is less "forgiving" to wiring faults, and that installing it would lead to constant tripped breakers.

So by that logic, it would be better to have an existing fault but not know about it? I'm sure you don't really mean that! Your probably thinking of nuisance tripping which can occur because MCB’s are more sensitive to things like lamp’s blowing. Nuisance tripping of RCD is a different kettle of fish relating to leaky appliances. This can be harder to track down.

Although the installation may be fine, it sounds like it's bothering you so for peace of mind, you could always get the CU replaced with a more modern unit incorporating RCD protection by a competent person. They should be registered with one of the schemes and will test and certify all circuits. They will also make sure that your earthing arrangements are current and safe.

From a safety point of view, all sockets that can be reasonably used for outdoor equipment must be RCD protected. Same goes for outdoor lights.

If you have an electric shower (unlikely unless it’s on a 30-amp fuse) it should also be RCD protected. IMHO if you have children, all sockets should be RCD protected.

If it was rewired 3 years ago by a pro then an RCD should have been fitted to any socket reasonably expected to supply portable equipment outdoors. Afaik there is no requirement to have outside lights on RCD, if they have exposed conductive parts the disconnection time is reduced to 0.4s but with MCBs the disconnection time needs to be 0.1s for everything anyway.

wiggles said:
bron said:

So by that logic, it would be better to have an existing fault but not know about it? I'm sure you don't really mean that! Your probably thinking of nuisance tripping which can occur because MCB’s are more sensitive to things like lamp’s blowing. Nuisance tripping of RCD is a different kettle of fish relating to leaky appliances. This can be harder to track down.

Sorry yes, I got my words tied a little. What I was trying to imply is that maybe the person (likey to be an investor from what I've tracked down) rewired the place, put in a CU and found a fault -- so thought F*&K it and put the Wylex back in. I just don't really see the logic in spending so much time and effort to rewire but not swapout the central point. There is no outdoor lighting or sockets. There WAS a halo' light outside that appears to have been disconnected during the refurb, which again makes sense as the fusebox wasn;t upgraded.

I'm just a worrier really. I'm not sure wether to upgrade to MCB in the Wylex box, or put it towards a complete CU in 2 months time.

Sponsored Links
There may not be any outside sockets, are there any sockets you can reasonably expect to use to supply portable equipment outdoors i.e. vacuuming the car, cutting the lawn etc?

Spark123 said:
There may not be any outside sockets, are there any sockets you can reasonably expect to use to supply portable equipment outdoors i.e. vacuuming the car, cutting the lawn etc?

Not right now. It's a terrace with only a yard so no mowing, thankfully. I also clean the car at the local garage, so I'm pretty sure I've no foreseeable need to supply an outdoor device.

Quite a lot of electricians look at it as any ground floor general use sockets can be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors hence must be RCD protected.

bron said:
There WAS a halo' light outside that appears to have been disconnected during the refurb, which again makes sense as the fusebox wasn;t upgraded.

AFAIK outside lights mounted on house walls do not have to be RCD protected but ones remote from the house do. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

bron said:

I wish my MCBs forgave all those pesky overcurrent faults and let them get on with the task of burning down my house!

RCD for remote garden lighting. Did not know that!

bron said:
I suspect was rewired approx 3 years ago

bron said:
likey to be an investor from what I've tracked down

Are you some sort of property Columbo?

"Err One more thing Sir, did you install the old core colours to circumvent part P?"
OR
"We've got the culprit sarge, its a 2 bed semi in Harlow that done it"

Sorry, I'm only here for the comedy purposes this afternoon, no usefulness to be had from me.

CallEdsFirst said:
bron said:
Are you some sort of property Columbo?

"Err One more thing Sir, did you install the old core colours to circumvent part P?"
OR
"We've got the culprit sarge, its a 2 bed semi in Harlow that done it"

Rather Columbo than Ironside - I can't afford a stairlift right now.

Basically, I tracked down the sale history of the house and saw two sales in 04, approx 5 months apart. I then asked the current seller if he did the refurb himself and he told me they bought it recently modernised. So it's a fair cop guv'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back