No supply earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working at a house (1930's semi in a 30's built estate). I looked at the fusebox and noticed a supply neutral and phase but no earth connection. The supply cable to the head looks like something covered in bitumen/tar. The earthing is made by clamps onto the incoming metal gas pipe and lead water main. It has been rewired in the 60's but still retains the 4 way rewirable fusebox. I thought all old houses had an earth supply,please tell me more (it's in south london not a country area)

Sponsored Links
Some have a supplied earth, others do not.
Under current regs, the ones which do not can be made into a TT system with an earth electrode and RCDs on all circuits.
You are not allowed to use a public water main or gas pipe for the electrode.
It may be possible for the electricity supplier to give you an earth connection making it into a TN system (either TN-S or TN-CS), you'd have to ask them.
It is probably due a rewire too if the electrics are 50 years old.

Normally there would be a bare multi strand cable bring the earth via the mains cable near the top- just before the cable terminates in the mains head.

Please take a picture and post back. If you don't have an earth via the energy network you will need an earth rod (it is not acceptable to earth via water and gas- what happends if the street side is plastic :eek: )

Earthing types can be found in the site Wikki- UK Electrics at the top rhs of the page.

Most London houses will have an earth via the shiled / armour on the supply cable. If in doubt phone the electrical network people and drag them out to supply one.

Sponsored Links
Sadly there is no bare braided cable , the supply cable isn't armoured ( I'll look under the floorboards to see if it's been stripped back that far).

John D I'll try n get a picture tomorrow, many thanks for all the replies, if the electricity board need to be called out to supply an earth rod, will they fit and install for free as it is their responsibility?

if the electricity board need to be called out to supply an earth rod, will they fit and install for free as it is their responsibility?

Simple answer is NO, Earth rod is owned by the customer and is the customers responsibility to maintain

The DNO is not compelled to supply an Earth, but if they do, they are compelled to maintain it.

Jeez, they won't like me telling them that, the meter tails are 25mm, I assume the cable to the earth rod will have to be 16mm?

I suggested they have one of the twin RCD fuseboxes that screwfix sell fitted by someone, so now they will need an earth rod too

I think they need an electrician to carry out a periodic inspection report and take it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back