How can I calculate the cornice mitre and bevel angle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently coming to the end of our DIY kitchen install - we're nearly complete but currently struggling with our wall unit cornice.

We cannot get the right angle on our chop saw to give us perfect 90° joints.

Online seems to suggest that we need to find the spring angle, which according to our digital angle measure (if we've measured correctly) is 20.5 degrees. However, when we cut with a mitre of 19.3 and bevel of 41.48, the two corners don’t join up.

What’s the easiest way to work it all out?

unnamed (1).jpg

Attachments

• Image_20230806_002700_249.jpeg
    Image_20230806_002700_249.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Personally, I would keep it simple for my poor brain!
Cut a wedge to support it in the chop saw, in the orientation it will be installed, then cut at 45°! :)

Personally, I would keep it simple for my poor brain!
Cut a wedge to support it in the chop saw, in the orientation it will be installed, then cut at 45°! :)
Haha, that's so simple... There's me trying to overcomplicate things!

Thank you for your suggestion - I will give that a go in the morning. :giggle:

cut 2 pair wedges rather than one you then have extra plus 2 sets off folding wedges all be it a bit too steep for fine adjustment :giggle:

Sponsored Links
I find making a mitre box representing how far the cove/cornice sticks out vertical and horizontal so your cutting at the correct angle to how it will be fixed

Attachments

• 30A173E8-F75C-480B-995D-8BADC60DDCBD.jpeg
    30A173E8-F75C-480B-995D-8BADC60DDCBD.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Corners may not be 90 degrees
That affects the angle of cut not the orientation of the piece being cut on kitchen cabinets.
If one wanted to use a chopsaw to allow for +or- 90⁰ out of square then just one side of the box in my pic or any of the other suitable methods mentioned to hold the cornice in the right orientation in the saw and the cutting angle set accordingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back