how can I check the build quality on permitted development with change of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am purchasing a 3 bed bungalow and have some concerns
The building was built as a garden pavilion in 2011 as permitted development so no planning permission or building inspections required there is a certificate of Lawfulness . It’s brick base and timber framed construction.
Planning permission for change to residential use was granted in 2016.

I want to reassure myself that it has been built properly eg proper foundations, insulation safety etc.
I have asked for building plans architects details etc but the seller can only provide the name of the builder which I can find no details of on google search or companies house.

The building seems to be well constructed and is finished nicely with no obvious faults.
building surveys don’t seem to cover the information I want and surveyors admit all they will really see is a shiny new box and not enough time has passed for faults to be obvious. They also seem to caveat everything so no guarantees as they will just say subject to building inspections etc.

Please can you help advise me on what I should do to check the property has been built properly. I am happy to pay for the right professional services to check the property but I don’t know who is best suited to carry out this type of examination or what checks should be carried out

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Are you concerned about foundations, drains, floor (over-site) detail? If so then the obvious observations would be the first on my list.

Permitted development is planning only it has nothing to do with building regs.

If its over 30 sq metres, then it should have building regs.

Have you done a search on the LA search for the address?

I would imagine your conveyencing solicitor would do the searches.

I cant believe a builder constructed a building big enough to be a 3 bed bungalow without drawings and specs.

The lack of info from the sellers is ringing alarm bells to me.

Has it been used (lived in) since the approval in 2016? Has the 2016 permission definetly been implemented?

Get a regularisation application in with the Council and send an inspector down who will give you a proper building regs certificate if it's okay. It is probably going to be on the expensive side and need some intrusive / investigation works but it will 'put your mind at ease'

Sponsored Links
surveyors admit all they will really see is a shiny new box
Find different surveyors - ones with a clue and not labradors.

You can instruct a surveyor to survey whatever you want. The only difference will be the level or opening up or digging of holes.

Thanks for the replies
The property is good value and to be honest it’s perfect for us and we are a little emotionally attached. It has been agreed that they will supply insurance cover on the property this will satisfy the Mortgage as it’s very low loan to value it’s my own peace of mind I’m looking to satisfy. I’m not worried about a 5-10k issue I guess what I want to know is how can I check the Foundations, Insulation and roof I can probably get permission from the seller to dig a hole to check the foundation, and drill a hole to check what’s inside the walls the roof should be easy.what type of surveyor would be best to carry out the inspection

Thanks for the replies
The property is good value and to be honest it’s perfect for us and we are a little emotionally attached. It has been agreed that they will supply insurance cover on the property this will satisfy the Mortgage as it’s very low loan to value it’s my own peace of mind I’m looking to satisfy. I’m not worried about a 5-10k issue I guess what I want to know is how can I check the Foundations, Insulation and roof I can probably get permission from the seller to dig a hole to check the foundation, and drill a hole to check what’s inside the walls the roof should be easy.what type of surveyor would be best to carry out the inspection

You could start by assessing the site. Foundation design is determined by ground stabilty, so see how close any trees and hedges are to the property. Oak, Leylandii, Hawthorn are notable offenders and will influence ground up to 15 metres away. Then see if you can find out the soil type, shrinkable soils are bad.

If there are any close neighbours that have had extensions, ask what depth foundations were required.

Timber frame construction is generally more forgiving than masonry.

Id be amazed if such a big construction was just b6ilt with no drawings or regs, but it does happen.......

Even without a building inspector a decent builder would automatically do a trench foundation of around a metre x 600mm

As others say if it is a bungalow it would need bldg. regs approval and a check with the local authority building control department would be the first place to check. Not clear what built as a garden pavilion means :confused::?:

in general "a bit off a problem "
and good value tends to mean its a problem in the future if you try to "move things on " like to separate and formalize the seperation

Hi all
Thanks for your replies some additional information:
the property is 150 sq meters.
There are no large trees close to the property some smaller deciduous trees / hedgerow about 8m away.
In the environmental survey no risks have been identified.
No concerns have been identified with ground stability.
The seller has now provided details of the builder who is willing to have a conversation with me what questions should I ask

Have you every purchased a property before?

Typically, you don't go through this rigermole of checking everything, but rather have a building survey which may or may not flag things up for further investigation.

Anything after that will be covered by the household insurance that you should be taking out :rolleyes:

Hi all
Thanks for your replies some additional information:
the property is 150 sq meters.
There are no large trees close to the property some smaller deciduous trees / hedgerow about 8m away.
In the environmental survey no risks have been identified.
No concerns have been identified with ground stability.
The seller has now provided details of the builder who is willing to have a conversation with me what questions should I ask

That seems pretty positive.

Id be very surprised if a builder built it without some sort of spec, so Id start with asking for drawings and specification.

I just cant see how a customer would have something built without b/regs -it seems so unlikely -id ask the builder, maybe it was done by an independant building inspector

A building surveyor would be a good bet especially firms who carry out surveys where there have been disputes/litigation - they should know what to look for.

They can work with BC to regularise any breaches of building regs/good practice, and secure your investment for when you sell/borrow. All of which can be negotiated in the purchase price, especially if other buyers are equally reticent.

At the moment you're buying a garden building posing as a bungalow.

Check that the pp is for a freestanding dwelling and not ancillary to occupancy of a related dwelling.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back