How Can I Fix This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The picture shows the waste pipes on the outside wall of my kitchen, going into a hole in my concrete drive.

How do i fill this in, because its starting to pong a bit. The hole goes down at least a foot, and I can see the glazed soil pipe at the bottom. It was like this when I moved in. Trouble is, if I try to whack a load of cement into the hole, it will just fall to the bottom, set and block the drain.

How would the pros handle this, and what are my options? This hole needs looking into! :)

Sponsored Links
for a starters i wouldnt go filling it in as your only masking the problem.you may also find its the pipes that go into the gully thats your problem.when sagging runs of waste pipe over years get to a clogging stage. there can be a terrible smell when used.

Flush it through thoroughly with a hose, pour bleach down it and leave overnight then flush it again, thus making sure it is as clean and clear as can be.

If you insist on covering it over, wedge some bits of anything (such as cardboard) firmly around the pipes and spread a thin (10mm) layer of wet mortar over it gently. This will give you a fighting chance of removing it if necessary.

Alternatively, cut the pipes back a little and embed some straight pipe couplings into the mortar first, let it go off overnight and push the pipes into the couplings - this will give you some (limited) access to the drain below and enable you to withdraw the pipes for maintenance.

similar to Dex's idea, you could cement in a 110mm coupling with blank plate fitted, before fitting the blank plate drill 2 holes and fit 2x 40mm tank connectors as they have jam nuts on one end and pipe ends on the other, this will allow you to fit the pipes and seal the opening but if required the pipes and blank plate can be removed for access to drain via 110mm coupling

Sponsored Links
You should dig it out, and change it into something that comes within shouting distance of how it should be.
If that's too much work, bit of mesh and a dollop of expanding foam will shut off the stink. Any polish plumber can do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back