How Can I Get Into These Document Boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
>
We have two document boxes and have mislaid the keys to both. And we now wish to get inside them to retrieve their contents. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how we might best go about this.

We are not particularly worried about what happens to the boxes themselves in the process.

The boxes are both metal.

These are some photos of the first box:

These are some photos of the second box:

Thank you.
<

Sponsored Links
Hammer, chisel, bang, bang.

Drill lock.

bigger hammer.

yep, can't imagine it's very strong, it's not a safe. Assuming the contents aren't breakable I'd either break the hinges off or go for the lock with a hammer/chisel/drill. you may even get away with picking the lock or using a similar key

I think you could probably just prize it open with a hefty screwdriver, hammer or crowbar :evil:

Sponsored Links
>
Thank you for the above advice and the speed with which it was posted.

I decided to begin with a hammer and a 26mm chisel. And work from there.

I lined the chisel up with the flange of the lid of the first document box. Adjacent to the lock. Half a dozen hammer blows later the lid came open.

I applied the same technique to the second document box. This opened after just one blow. Because the lock mechanism had actually been simply “secured” to the lid with a small blob of solder.

Wonderful. And thank you once again.
<

I wish to get into this bleeder and have...er... lost the..um..combination, any helpers out there?
safe.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back