How did they charge my Paypal?

Is there a way that the shop keeper could have taken the payment from Agile's card but had it paid into his (shop keeper's) Paypal account so that it looks to Agile that it has come out of his Paypal account?

Yes. That's why Agile should check his MasterCard and Paypal accounts to establish where the money was taken from. Although a closer look at the receipt would show this too.

Sponsored Links
All I have seen so far is the email from PayPal.

When I have time I will see what else I can see.

Tony

On my PayPal account, I have my current account linked to it, so if there are not enough funds in my PP a/c, it will debit my current account instead.

Yes, I thought that was how Paypal worked - took money from a designated source.

Why do you keep money in the Paypal account?

Is it that you can put money in the Paypal account and then they need not know your current account or credit/debit card details?

Sponsored Links
Everything I have done with paying from PayPal has always required using my password, "tealeaf".

Tony

If this is genuine, anyone you have handed your Mastercard to could have kept the details from it. If they also know your email and that you are a member of DIYnot, you are now subject to a big financial loss.

Why do you keep money in the Paypal account?

When I paid for stuff I sell on ebay, it goes into the PP a/c.

I believe they insist on having a current a/c tied to the PP a/c so that if you have a zero balance in the PP a/c, they can still take money for stuff like ebay fees or refunds.

PP transactions are taken from the PP a/c first then your tied current a/c.

For example, the other day I bought something using PP. There was only a third of the amount needed in the PP a/c so that was reduced to zero and the balance deducted from my current a/c.

It may be possible to set-up a PP a/c without linking a current a/c (if you are not signed up to ebay), I don't know.

Think that was a joke....

tealeaf being CRS for thief...

Tony - were you born within the sound of Bow Bells?;)

I believe they insist on having a current a/c tied to the PP a/c so that if you have a zero balance in the PP a/c, they can still take money for stuff like ebay fees or refunds.
Yes, that's what I thought but -

When I buy something it's taken by Paypal from my debit card - and if I should sell or get a refund, it is repaid to my debit card which ends up in the current.

There is never any money in the Paypal account.

It may be possible to set-up a PP a/c without linking a current a/c (if you are not signed up to ebay), I don't know.
That's what I was thinking.

What's most surprising about this thread is Agile's apparent lack of concern over whether someone has actually managed to access his account with no security required. It's been a week since posting about the 'rogue' transaction. Me - I'd be all over it like a rash.

I'd be asking both the retailer AND paypal how this happened.

I had some waterjet cutting done, handed my card over for payment, the guy signed into PayPal, input my card details, asked for my email address and voila.. bill paid.
PayPal charged my card (it's a way for small outfits to accept card payments, they pay a small fee to PayPal) and sent me an email receipt.. same as they do if I buy something using them..

If your card is linked to your PayPal account, and you assert it was your PayPal account that was debited rather than the bank account your card is linked to, then you might well find that PayPal saw the incoming card details, matched it to their records, and charged via the PayPal account ecause it's cheaper than doing a card acquiry. If they have permission to debit your bank account via direct debit, at would be a cheaper way of getting payment from your bank than going via the credit card

All in, it's not possible to take money out of someone's PayPal account using their email alone, with no additional authorisation. There's some part of the paper trail/sequence of actions you've overlooked

Last edited:
I gave them my MasterCard.

They asked for my address, then my email address.

Later I found a PayPal receipt email dealing with my payment to the trader.

I gave no pins or any other security information.

Then it's simply the situation I described before. Any small trader can sign up to charge a card just like any other card payment gateway, sagepay, worldpay etc. The girl wasn't "having trouble" with your card and used your email address instead, she may have made a typo with your card info and had to redo it, but it was a normal transaction where you put your card info in, your address info in, they don't use 3Dsecure, a card acquire is done and your email address is used for the receipt. The reason she asked for your email was purely for receipt info reasons, after she had succeeded in getting the card to go through- PayPal were effectively the payment gateway, they charged you 100 quids, they gave the retailer 95 quids, everyone is happy

How many times have you bought something on the internet, and e site says "please wait while we transfer you to worldpay to complete the transaction" ?
This is no different and perfectly normal. You'll also see worldpay asking you for your email if you want a receipt

Last edited:

We're rapidly heading towards a world where a PayPal account IS a current account for a considerable section of the population..

Sponsored Links
Back