How do I access the headgear of this strange tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a photo of the tap:

http://twitpic.com/3x65nn

There's an alun nut at the rear of the stem but nothing apparent on the branches of the taps. Any idea how I'd access the head gear to check / clean the cartridge?

Sponsored Links
Undo the SS cover on the barrel, to the right of the blue dot, you can see the join in the pic. That should give access to the nut beneath to undo the barrel.

cant see from your photo but normally you would undo the grub screw with an allen key then the cross head tap would either pull off or gently tap it off, the chrome ring probably will unscrew allowing access to the head gear.

Undo the SS cover on the barrel, to the right of the blue dot, you can see the join in the pic. That should give access to the nut beneath to undo the barrel.

How should I undo the SS cover? What would be the right tool for that job? I wouldn't want to damage it with a wrench if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
cant see from your photo but normally you would undo the grub screw with an allen key then the cross head tap would either pull off or gently tap it off, the chrome ring probably will unscrew allowing access to the head gear.

Yes there is a grub screw at the back of the tap. When I find something small enough to turn it, I hope the tap will come off! It's the unscrewing of the ring to access the headgear that I'm not sure about. I really don't want to damage it.

How should I undo the SS cover? What would be the right tool for that job? I wouldn't want to damage it with a wrench if possible.

Thanks for your help!

ecomproducts-image-1.jpg

Some thin leather or such like to cover the jaws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back