How do I box this in?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

As per the pictures and the title - I need to box in this mess of pipework (And old plaster / DPC / render etc)

Floor is quickfit laminate.

Any ideas? How would YOU do it?

Sponsored Links
batton on the wall and floor,mdf lid and a skirting board face to required height if say your skirts are only 3" then a mdf face then skirt on top of that,all with cups and screws so you can gain access.

if that was me i would as said above baton on the floor one on the wall i would maintain the full height and depth along the whole wall [clearing the pipes by 5mm top and front
one bit off timber for the front full length fixed to the floor and wall
i would make the top from 18-22mm board/ planed timber 20mm overhang at the front too look like a step to make a feature with moulded shaped front edge
with a baton back from the front edge to clip in behind the front face to hold in place and leave as a lid
if any furniture was going flat against the wall i would use this to finish the boxing in against
i would also suggest something like bookshelves with the bottom shelve fitted to match the boxing in again stopping the boxing in to the side

Sponsored Links
A couple of issues (which may not be immediately apparent):

I cant block the bottom of the radiator

At the left side the boxing will come into contact with the door frame, and there isnt much clearance on this. Maybe only just enough for the skirting board facing.

At the left side, one of the pipes dog-legs up, so it wont be a straight run of box.

I think I have an idea in my head, but its gonna be tricky to get it right.

you can put skirting in front of the horizontal pipes, have the radiator connections on the face of the skirting and the verticals to the radiator in front of the skirting.

That shouldn't project any more than the existing door frame and you can take a fake architrave up the side of the door full height to conceal the dogleg on the left.

Any competent plumber should be able to solder the radiator elbows back onto pipe ends through the holes in the face of the skirting.

Get a plumber in to dog leg the pipe the other side of the door and lower it below the rest of the pipework.
No baton required wall or floor, make C section cover from mdf and slide it up to wall with adhesive on base and wall edge.Or you can fit pipe clips tp the skirting and clip it to your pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back