How Do I Disconnect This Dirty Stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking for help. I need to disconnect my old sink and give it a good old clean before I set the plasterer loose on the wall.

In the first pic, I assume my red boxes are isolation valves and if I turn them horizontal there is no risk of water seeping through anywhere? The cold water feed comes from the right and warm to the left? (I Assume no risk of me disconnecting the sink and water sprouting everywhere?)

Also on the first pic, once the taps are disconnected and I've isolated the valves, I just turn the white connector and then I can look to disconnect the sink? Green box...

Looking for some advice on the yellow connectors. There is also some electric cabling, but can't see anything connected... Any thoughts?

For the second picture, from looking at some videos online - it looks like I just disconnect the nuts highlighted and then the taps will be disconnected. Is this right?

Thank you.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hello HugeWesty,

Yes turn the isolation valves so they are across the pipe, horizontal on the cold, vertical (looking at it) on the hot. Turn the taps on to confirm they’ve shut off. Yes, should be able to turn the white nut anti-clockwise to undo. Yes undo the nuts connected to the taps to disconnect. The wire you can see is an earth bonding wire to prevent a shock risk to the end user from a metal pipe being touched by a live wire.

Hello HugeWesty,

Yes turn the isolation valves so they are across the pipe, horizontal on the cold, vertical (looking at it) on the hot. Turn the taps on to confirm they’ve shut off. Yes, should be able to turn the white nut anti-clockwise to undo. Yes undo the nuts connected to the taps to disconnect. The wire you can see is an earth bonding wire to prevent a shock risk to the end user from a metal pipe being touched by a live wire.

Great, thats awesome. I dont quite get the earth bonding wire though. I am getting my plumbing renewed under the sink longer term after plastering etc. Should I ask that this earth bonding remains?

Sponsored Links
It all depends on how your house is wired (eg which wiring edition), if it’s been upgraded recently, then it may not be required, if it’s an old edition 16th or prior then it will be required. If using a plumber get them to check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back