How do i fix DAMP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a first time buyer and i have found a house i would like to buy. However, there are 2 areas in the house i have noticed with damp.

The first one is at the bottom of the wall in the lounge (the wall which divides the wall and kitchen) its only a small area and i noticed it as the wall paper was peeling away at the corner and sides. Any ideas what could be causing this and how i can fix it (Cheaply!?). There is a cellar underneath.

The second area is on the ceiling in the bathroom. The ceiling is papered. Some of the paper is peeling off and looks to be damp, under the paper you can see wood, as opposed to plaster. The room above is an attic bedroom conversion (and i have looked in the bedroom and there is no sign of damp especially not from the roof).

If you have any suggestions or thoughts i would really appreciate it. My dad said it could be a major job and require replastering.

Thanks!

SHould this be enough to put me off buying the house or do you think i can fix it for small amount?

Sponsored Links
Top damp, if its not in the room above, then there could be a leaking pipe, water coming through a window.
Gound damp bit more difficult, what is the construction of the house does it have dpc.
Maybe spend a few ££ a get a survey to have a look.
Im not a builder

I have no idea if the house has dpc and as the vendor lives abroad it is more difficult to ask questions. I think the damp on the bottom of the wall in the lounge may be caused by the cellar below if it the air is not well circulated? - would this be a reasonable explanation?

The damp in the bathroom is strange as the room above has a window but i dont think its directly above where the damp is. The room above the bathroom is empty and looks in a good state so its a bit of a mystery! Any idea of the costs involved to mend damp issues?

I feel for you, sp85m because, as a first time buyer, you have a lot of learning to do if you're to avoid spending money on unnecessary things.

Damp is notorious for being wrongly diagnosed and for companies providing fixes that aren't needed. The whole surveying and money lending industries support various myths because they aren't motivated to understand how to tell between all the different causes of damp, and to advise you accordingly. They are merely into risk reduction, but you're the one who has to budget your money.

To answer your specific questions:

I have no idea if the house has dpc and as the vendor lives abroad it is more difficult to ask questions.
This is what the agent is for.

I think the damp on the bottom of the wall in the lounge may be caused by the cellar below if it the air is not well circulated? - would this be a reasonable explanation?
No. However, it is important that the air is circulated and humid air is extracted.

The damp in the bathroom is strange as the room above has a window but i dont think its directly above where the damp is. The room above the bathroom is empty and looks in a good state so its a bit of a mystery!
Bathrooms are damp places. Does it have a fan? Are you saying that the bathroom is damp, or the room above?

Any idea of the costs involved to mend damp issues?
Come off it - this question is impossible to answer. How much does it cost to fix a house? :!

If you're not in love with the house, then leave it and find another one that doesn't have this hassle. If you are, then post a lot more information here and you will get help. For example, internal floor and external ground construction, relative heights of flooring, guttering condition (go and look when it's raining), age, type of walls, type of windows, what means of air extraction.

Sponsored Links
sp - I think the answer to your 'damp' problem is contained within your description:

lounge/KITCHEN wall - as the 'damp' patch is localised the first thing to check are your water/waste services in the kitchen for leaks. Anything on that wall - remove cabinet kick-plates (plinths) & look underneath or remove cabinet back-boards (the thin hardboard/MDF ones can often be pushed out of their holding grooves/rebates & slipped to one side).

bathroom ceiling - more likely to be condensation/lack of adequate ventilation; just think of the vast quantity of moist air being created. The fix could be as straightforward as an efficient extractor fan.

Softus's observation about getting a surveyor in from a 'damp company' are spot-on; remember they'll be looking for work. Regard as a last resort.

If you're not in love with the house, then leave it and find another one that doesn't have this hassle.

Best bit of house buying advice you can get, unless you are 100% sure of curing any problems, do not take it on.

Sounds like nothing more than condensation caused by lack of ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back