Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 Months ago we had a burst pipe in the attic. It has taken months to get things sorted in the house and then when I went to check the work yesterday I noticed that an interior wall has damp rising but the builders have now just papered over it even thought they have said it is damp!
it is an internal wall- joins with next door. it is a mid terrace house. any ideas? even who i should contact for a quote to tell me what to do.
I am very frustrated- I had a 3 week old baby when the flood happened and we have been living in temporary accommodation since then so the thought of the walls having to be stripped again just makes me want to cry!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, was there damp in the wall before the leak? If not, then I doubt it is rising damp but just the wall still drying out. This doesn't justify the fact that it shouldn't have been papered until fully dry, so if left as it is, you may experience problems in future.
If the work was done via your insurance company then you should contact them and explain the situation and they should send somebody to evaluate the problem.

If the job was organised by you, then tell the builders you are not happy that the wall is still damp and withhold payment until the work is completed to your satisfaction.

However, if this wall was already damp and not part of any remedial contract or agreement with the builder, then you cannot withhold the payment. I'm afraid you will have to get the matter sorted seperately, in which case you will probably need to get a damp proofing company in to recommend a solution. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous damp proofers out there who will tell you that you need something done which is not necessary, so make sure you find a reputable one.

I hope this helps a little. ;)

thank you misterhelpful!
There were no problems at all until the flood so I am hoping it is connected! the insurance company have sorted out the work so I have spoken to them and they are sending someone round tomorrow morning to take a look. The patch has appeared very quickly. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Worth having the pipework checked, if it was weather related the pipework may have cracked in several places and still have a small leak.

silly question but how do i get the pipes checked then? who do I contact?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back