Presume this is damp?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, first post on here but have admired from afar for a while.

I've just had a small piece of internal wall plastered but now have what I presume is rising damp showing through, salt build up, etc. (Will attempt to upload a photo in due course).

People's thoughts are welcomed on a) diagnosis and b) cure.

The wall is internal, was originally the outside wall I believe, until an extension was put on the end before my time here. House is terraced and behind the wall is next door. Both walls to the sides are fine and don't seem to be showing any signs of damp.

http://image_url/223839/85251_51218911.jpg[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not sure how to upload pics direct to forum post, but hopefully you can see them in my profile

Cant see any pic, Mr.G.....can you lift a floorboard near to the problem wall, and check out whats down there?
John :)

Evening Burnerman, have tried but failed to upload pic direct to this thread. Are they not showing in the albums on my profile?

The floor on both sides of the wall (will make sense when see the pic) is concrete on top of a plastic dpc.

Sponsored Links
Alas, pics denied to me!
No matter.....was the concrete laid after the house was built? What I'm getting at, if the dpc on the original (outside) wall was compromised for some reason, and then concrete was laid after that, dampness can still rise through the original wall.
What I have seen done in situations like this, was to remove the skirtings and then drill downwards into the wall, prior to injecting a chemical damp course. I can't see what else is possible, really!

You need to allow others to view you album, currently set to private, make them public, when you post option just below the posting box which says 'show my images' click there, then on pic you wish to add.
External addition has likely not been connected to original in correct manner which should prevent rain penetrating, rain can fall thru what was external wall and moves out into the house when it hit the damp course or becomes saturated.

Whaley, picture should now be there (albeit on a sqew!). Thanks for the tips foxhole

Hell, that's nasty!
What's the condition of the outside wall, where the extension joins......any gaps, failed pointing and so on?
Is there a pillar opposite with the same issues?
There's no central heating pipe in that vicinity, is there?

There is no 'outside' as such as is a terraced house, so behind that wall is next door, if that makes sense?! Can't see any gaps anywhere outside, all flashings, slates, gutters etc all look sound. Walls opposite and indeed right next to are fine, also no central heating pipes anywhere near it

I can only suggest what I would do if the property was mine......
Skirting board off, remove the new plaster to around 50mm above where the damp ends, then check for water transfer from the damp area into the new concrete base.
At that point I would find out from a hire company about chemical DPC injection. It was a few years since I did this, and things may well have changed, but the principle was to drill a series of 10mm holes, diagonally down into the wall footing, and then squirt in the liquid DPC through the applicator needles provided. The solution was introduced under pressure from the pump provided.
This is supposed to saturate the surrounding brickwork with a non permeable chemical membrane, through which water can't rise.
I've used this method twice....once into brickwork where it was a success, and once into stone where it was less effective. I think that was because the inner stone was rubble and full of gaps and holes!
I can't think of any other method of sorting this one - you have my sympathy here!
Here's hoping for some other ideas from others!

Can't make it out by photos but is thar really a wall or is it a section of boxing in that conceals pipes etc?

If it is something in there might be leaking.

Burnerman - thanks for your thoughts, pretty much same conclusion that I came to.

AlanE - yep is def a brick wall and not stud or boxing. Is a steel tht rests on it where the extension has been installed.

I will try and take some more pics later when get home.

Could do with pics externally where the extension ties into original building at roof level, my guess is no cavity tray was used .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back