How do I fix skirting boards to a brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought my first place a few months ago and have been working on a few projects. The next big thing I need to do is put on new skirting boards through the living room, kitchen and under the stairs and I have not been able to find some clear answers on the web - can anyone offer me some guidance please.

The house is a c.1900's terrace. I removed the old boards and have been unable to get the very long screws that fixed the boards in place out. Any tips on getting them out???? or I was going to cut them off at the brick level. Am I right in thinking that the new boards are cut to length and then screwed/nailed???? through the skirting boards and directly into the brickwork?????

I want to keep it simple. Any/all help gratefully received

Garry

Sponsored Links
Skirting board will need to be cut to length as you are fitting it & scribed top make the corners.
You can fix it to the wall with 'no nails' or similar, nail or screw.

Garry, I've had the same problem in the past and this is how I handled it. If the nails/screws won't come out, then use your drill to drill a hole alonside the nail. Sometimes you need one on each side. Once you've drilled, the nail usually loses its purchase and you can pull it out. As for screwing on new boards, what's wrong with glue? Gripfill - obtainable at builders merchants - usually works fine.

Sponsored Links
If you can't get the old screws out then knock them side to side with a hammer and they'll break off flush. The easiest way to fit them back on is hold the skirting in position then drill straight through and into the brick. Put a plug in the hole from the outside. Put a screw a couple of turns into the plug then hammer the end of the screw and you'll knock the plug through the board into the wall. Then tighten the screw.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate your guidance and I will be giving this a go in the new year - fingers crossed

Garry

Joe-90 has the right idea.
I would add that it is worth buying some Bonding plaster and making small mixes as you work.
The point of this is it prevents the skirting coming loose and breaking the caulking you will need to do along the top of the skirting when decorating.
Hoovers kids toys etc have no respect for skirting.
Put a dab of wet bonding at about 500mm- 700mm where you will be inserting your fixings.
As you have an old house the plaster usually breaks up. Bonding will help prevent this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back