how do i get a nice lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my project for spring is to sort out our lawn which has a lot of weeds in it and its very compacted.

am i right in thinking i need to
1) apply feed, weed and moss killer
2) scarify to remove dead moss/weeds
3) aerate
4) sow new seed
in that order?

im looking into buying some kit now. this product is called an electric lawn aerator http://www.allotment.org.uk/greenhouse/Gardena/gardena-GSELA1.html and im a bit confused as i thought it was a scarifier and that an aerator put small holes in the ground? does it do both?

Sponsored Links
Your plan is mostly sound. Personally, I'd be inclined to hire an electric rake to get rid of the dead moss once it's died back, and then hire a hollow core tiner, which removes plugs of earth.

The only thing that you have forgotten to mention is topdressing the lawn as well, which feeds the soil and fills the plugs removed - there are suppliers for this or you can mix your own. Numerous articles are available on a web search for topdressing which should shed light on this

the quality of the soil may need improving. Is it hard compacted clay? Add gypsum (plaster) which will break it up, and lots of coarse grit.

Does it need draining?

If it is a fairly modern house, the garden may be compacted subsoil and builder's rubble with a thin layer of turf on top. That would benefit from being dug up. You will get an idea from digging a hole, possibly in an adjacent flowerbed.

If it is a fairly modern house, the garden may be compacted subsoil and builder's rubble with a thin layer of turf on top. That would benefit from being dug up. You will get an idea from digging a hole, possibly in an adjacent flowerbed.

I have exactly what you describe as my front lawn. The situation was exacerbated recently when I had a lot building work done - heavy loads of materials and even heavy vans left on the lawn !

It's 40 m2.

I've been quoted £350 to rotovate it, add some more top soil and turf with meadow grass. I don't like the sound of "meadow grass" turf - Anyone know what it's like ?

I might just dig it up myself, add some decent topsoil and then seed it.....

Sponsored Links
put down a decent layer of sandy loam and some decent turf. meadow grass will be a mix of farly rough grass, that unless is kept under control will become unsightly and difficult to keep looking good

Thanks - If I spent that much money I want something that looks better than a meadow !

Any real problems with seeding rather than turfing ?

Thanks - If I spent that much money I want something that looks better than a meadow !

Any real problems with seeding rather than turfing ?
Just time - will take a good year before you can assume it's strong and lush enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back