how do I get my rads off????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to take a couple of rads of for decorating and have turned both valves off. The rads have TRV`s fitted and I turned them all the way in the clockwise direction to 0 marked on the valve and the same with the opposite valve.

When I went to undo the rads the TRV was obviously still letting water in as when I loosened the nut water was coming through at pressure.

I was sure that both valves are off so fired up the heating to see if the rad would get hot which it didn`t. I loosened the nut again and warm water was coming through still under pressure although the rad is stone cold!!!!

What is happening and why is water still coming through....

Is there something I have missed about how to turn these TRV valves off and if they are still on why is the rad not hot

Sponsored Links
The water coming out under pressure is from the full radiator, not the pipework.

If the TRV is passing water when shut, then it might be faulty, but bear in mind that most (if not all) have a frost setting, so that they deliberately pass water if the room is very cold.

The way to overcome this is to fit a 'decorating cap'. Not on your head, but in place of the thermostatic valve head. Or you can remove the head, place a suitable small coin over the pin, and put the head back on.

If you shut the lockshield valve (at the other end from the TRV), then no water will flow through the radiator, even if the TRV is open/faulty.

Softus said:
If the TRV is passing water when shut, then it might be faulty, but bear in mind that most (if not all) have a frost setting, so that they deliberately pass water if the room is very cold.

The way to overcome this is to fit a 'decorating cap'. Not on your head, but in place of the thermostatic valve head. Or you can remove the head, place a suitable small coin over the pin, and put the head back on.

If you shut the lockshield valve (at the other end from the TRV), then no water will flow through the radiator, even if the TRV is open/faulty.

I think someone had better tell him that turning off both valves will not mean he wont get any water ****ing out when cracking the valves. If he does not have a drainoff point on his rad then he will have to empty the rad after turning off both valves, with a bowl or summat similar.

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
If he does not have a drainoff point on his rad...
I've not seen one of those Bg - do you have an illustration?

Softus said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
If he does not have a drainoff point on his rad...
I've not seen one of those Bg - do you have an illustration?

You may be aware, if you read the OP`s statement he obviously is not otherwise if he had drained down the rad he wouldn`t have water ****ing out unless his valves were indeed passing, but we don`t know that yet do we ;)

I never said that we knew it, or didn't know it. I haven't assumed anything.

Do you have an illustration of the type of drain point that you mentioned?

so if it was water from the rad why would it be warm water when the heating was off all day and believe me it is coming out under a lot of pressure

malp said:
so if it was water from the rad why would it be warm water when the heating was off all day and believe me it is coming out under a lot of pressure
Rather than ask a hypothetical question based on somewhat subjective measurements, perhaps you could tell us whether or not you drained the radiator?

It`s quite simple. Have you turned off the valves at each end & THEN drained the radiator?

Bamber gaspipe said:
It`s quite simple.
Talking of things that are quite simple, do you have an illustration of the drain point that you mentioned?

Softus said:
Do you have an illustration of the type of drain point that you mentioned?

I`m sure your local Heating supplier/merchant will help. If not ask a Heating Engineer.(Please ensure he is Corgi registered).

I'll take that as a no. It's also particularly unhelpful to any novices who might be reading the topic.

Softus said:
I'll take that as a no. It's also particularly unhelpful to any novices who might be reading the topic.

I`m sorry, I wasn`t sure if you were being sarcastic. No I don`t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back