How do I get this tap off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
263CA56E-A823-4E9A-982B-A2EA8A02D26E.jpeg 171261C1-30E1-496B-ACE5-04533161B8B2.jpeg FA13A2BF-92B3-4D21-B31F-C4997E723156.jpeg

I got this far…

i think the number inside is k937a01
But Google didn’t offer much help.

There’s no other screws, bolts or pieces of gum holding it on that I can find.
I’ve tried pulling on it, tapping it with a hammer and asking it nicely.
But this thing just won’t come off.

No brand on the tap, quarter turn kitchen tap mixer

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: some oil and something prying under it did the trick

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Looks to be as if the headworks have sheared off. Definitely simpler, and probably cheaper, to get a new tap. Look for sink deck mixers, such as Screwfix 1371T or 3513T.
2. Check to see if there are isolation valves fitted to the hot and cold feeds.

Isn't it held in place by a nut and threaded rod under the sink?

Sponsored Links
I just want the tap ‘head’ off, not the entire tap-set(?) … I’m trying to replace the cartridge, dripping

Try pouring boiling water over it and tapping with a mallet on the side. It looks as if it was held down with a screw in the centre, have you removed that?

Try pouring boiling water over it and tapping with a mallet on the side. It looks as if it was held down with a screw in the centre, have you removed that?
Yeah screw was removed.
i put two pictures, you can see hole

I’ll try boiling water - and a tea bag

Try some lubricant or some wd-40 if the boiling water doesn’t work. I have had success before now by pulling it up and down on those types of taps, look similar to what we fit (Deva).

Try some lubricant or some wd-40 if the boiling water doesn’t work. I have had success before now by pulling it up and down on those types of taps, look similar to what we fit (Deva).
I’ll give it a try, hopefully don’t rip out and burst a pipe underneath

Not being funny... Yes I am.. :)

landscape-1435169345-cut-hacksaw.gif

That will work. Trust me!

On that note I'm off to bed. What a week.
Hope you sort tap out @DannyDyer

Isn't it held in place by a nut and threaded rod under the sink?
This is how it looks underneath. But that is basically impossible to access unless you’re about half a foot tall.
So I’m pretty ****ed if it is that.

But to my very uneducated understanding; I only need to go under here if I wanted to take the entire tap off - to replace it.
Whereas I just want to replace the cartridge because it’s dripping

Attachments

• 34707C0B-5194-4687-9C1B-6CE8A9A53ED8.jpeg
    34707C0B-5194-4687-9C1B-6CE8A9A53ED8.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 89
1. If the headworks are intact, then the lever handle should just pull off to reveal the works underneath.
2. Try pouring boiling water over it. Might loosen it if its on too tight.

Heavily corroded handle, bit of penetrating oil and try tapping down on it first. 2 screwdrivers, one either side and then try to wiggle it up.

Heavily corroded handle, bit of penetrating oil and try tapping down on it first. 2 screwdrivers, one either side and then try to wiggle it up.
I just stuck the end of a hammer under and pulled on it slightly. Then it popped off.

Well I put some oil first and left it a couple minutes.

I had bought two cartridges. So I figured I might as well do the other whilst I’m here and that one came off without any hassle. In fact I don’t think I even pulled it after taking the screw out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back