How do I install a dishwasher metres from the sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a dishwasher opposite my sink - it will be in the unit right next to the fridge in the first image below. Obviously this is a little trickier than a standard install as it isn't next to the sink.

Based on the images below is this possible?

What piping and parts are need to carry out the job?

Would we be easier lifting the wooden floor boards and going underneath or behind the cabinets?

If we go behind the cabinets will it be ok to run pipes behind the cooker (see image below)?

Really appreciate any help!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Lift the floor and do it from below. You can get long hoses for the water and waste connections, or even double them up, but I wouldn't recommend running them round a kitchen as in your situation.

Anything is usually possible, depends how much of the kitchen you want to dismantle! Need a 15mm cold feed from the sink to proposed position for dishwasher, take this from sink supply if not available nearer. If underfloor route used, then suitable frost precautions will be needed.

Waste needs to fall (slope) from the dishwasher to suitable drain point. 40mm waste required, with a standpipe/trap at the dishwasher position for the drain hose to hook into. This can connect into existing sink waste, providing you can achieve the required fall. Bear in mind 40mm pipe behind the cooker may foul the back of the cooker and prevent it from fitting flush with the front of the cupboards.

by all means run a new 40mm waste under the floor.
but don't extend the w/m waste and run under the floor back up to the sink trap.

1 it will hold water.
2 it'll block in time.

Sponsored Links
As advised lift the floorboards & run underneath but across the floor not around the room; Building Regulations & common sense also govern what you can & cannot do. You need to know which way the joists run, if you cant get across the floor without cutting joists (for which there are strict guidelines) you may be better to relocate the D/W on the same unit run as the sink which makes far more sense (if indeed you can), or go back to using a dish cloth & tea towel :LOL:

Or buy a compact dishwasher - they are about normal width but smaller hight. Bosch makes 2 models - one is 45 cm high, the other 60 cm. Maybe you can put something like those under the sink. There are also compact dishwashers that can be put on the worktop.

Our kitchen is similar to yours in size and layout and we want a dishwasher but are planning for more radical approach - build an extension and move the kitchen there.

Dishwashers can get hot and steamy, parking it next to the fridge may give the fridge some problems.

Thanks so much for all the replies, they've thrown up a few more questions:

- As it needs to fall/slope does that mean I need to extend the white wide pipes down to floor level? ie I couldn't run it under the floor then back up at the other side?

- How will I know which way the joists run?

- If I lift the flooring will there be space underneath?

- Any idea what the Bosch model name/number is? A 45cm high machine could work!

- Is putting a dishwasher next to a fridge really a big problem?

Sorry about all the questions!

As it needs to fall/slope does that mean I need to extend the white wide pipes down to floor level?
Best option is to run under the floor.

I couldn't run it under the floor then back up at the other side?
No, water doesn't run uphill particularly well :confused:

How will I know which way the joists run?
By looking at the floor board fixings, tapping the floor or as a last resort, lifting the floor boards!

If I lift the flooring will there be space underneath?
There is no possible way anyone can answer that, you have to pull up the floorboards & have a look for yourself. If the joist run accross the run, your still in trouble.

Any idea what the Bosch model name/number is? A 45cm high machine could work!
Not an expert in Bosch appliances, try searching for yourself on Google. :rolleyes:

Is putting a dishwasher next to a fridge really a big problem?
Not at all; a D/W is intermittent use, generate little heat & will make absolutely no significant difference to the operation of the fridge. [/quote]

From the questions you’re asking, I think you need to do a lot more research for yourself & call in a plumber or someone else who has some idea of what could be involved. If you attempt this yourself, I have a feeling it will be doomed to failure & potentially end in disaster :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back