How do i isolate my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - first of all i should point out i'm a plumbing novice!

I need to change the temp sensor in my Ferroli Sigma 60-100. It's a wet sensor so i'm informed i need to isolate and drain the boiler first - can anyone tell me how to do this or should i call in the experts?

It's a gravity fed system (non-sealed).

Also how do i then refill / restart the boiler - any particular steps to take?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
With it being an open vent system there won't be any isolation valves on the boiler's flow and return connection.

You therefore have the following options:-

1.Turn off the feed FROM the f+e tank (feed and expansion - the smaller of the two storage tanks which would normally be located in the attic) and drain down the system. There would normally be a gate valve (with a wheel head) fitted on a 15mm pipe in the airing cupboard to do this.

2. Or turn off the mains feed TO the f+e tank and drain system down.

3. Another option is to buy a pair of rubber bungs from a plumbers merchants. You would use these to bung both the feed from inside the the f+e tank and the end of the vent pipe that loops, like an upside down U, over the top of the tank. You could then drain down, now though only a little water will come out, the rest will be held in the system.

There should be a drain off valve under the boiler next to th gas connection.[/u][/b]

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I think i'll probably try the bungs method - there are two pipes with wheel valves in the airing cupboard and i don't want to turn off the wrong one.

I remember being advised to do something similar when we had a leaking radiator pipe -in the circumstances I had to improvise by using a carrot but it worked! I'll buy some bungs this time.

This may be a stupid question but how do i then refill the system? I assume it's more complicated than just removing the bungs from the expansion tank? Do i need to do anything to make sure the boiler has water in it etc?

Just remove the bungs! -as simple as that.
Close the drain off valve first of course... sorry - that's obvious.

I always remove the bung in the tank first, then the one on the vent, so that water gets drawn in not air down the vent pipe.

Hope all goes well!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back