How do I know what part to replace? 3portv or Boiler part?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i'm new to the site and am a retiree, My Boiler a baxi Solo2-60pf was new 5 years ago and at the same time the plumber fitted a danfos 3way valve type hs3.
Yesterday my heating stopped although I still had Hot water so looking in the airing cupboard I checked the 3 way valve and remembered I could put this to manual. This gave me Heating although it popped off on its own before the timer switched off so I had to put it back to manual today to get any heat to the rads. the hw when its on manual gets hot but not as hot as it was before everything stopped.
Can anyone tell me if indeed the 3 way valve has gone, it does turn slightly when put on auto and the room stat is turned but possibly doesn't open more than > this much.
Is it the stat? the 3 port valve? or something else.
I dread having to replace the 3 way valve as if I am correct I will have to drain everything down? to do it?
Help please for a complete and elderly novice. Thank you in advance. :eek:

Sponsored Links
you can buy just the head ie electric part check with local plumbers
synchron motors do go and are about £6.00 on line and 10 mins to fit :D

The head comes off dry - 2 screws. You will then be able to see if it's moving correctly. Resting, after mains off, is HW, then HW + CH in middle then CH only as the spindle turns inside the head.

Sponsored Links
Chris R
When you say, you will be able to see, I took the screws out but casing would not come apart do I have to apply pressure, I don't want to mess things up.
Currently I have only tried it when its running with the wife twisting the thermostat and as I said before that works.
When it kicked itself out of the stays the metal switch goes down to the other end(presumably water) . Do I take it that if the heating was then to come on it would move the metal switch left a bit towards the heating?

Sorry to be an old pain but as they say(when I was younger it was all coal fires)

Spearo, persevere with the head, the screws which hold the head on are M6 and have large heads and should not be tight. Once out you should be able to at least rotate the valve by gently turning the head relative to the body, it may be the head is stuck to the body with corrosion products, but again a little wiggle should help - no rock-ape heroics required here!

Once off you can check the operation of the head by putting the heating ONLY on and turning up the room 'stat; it should drive all the way over and you'll hear the pump start after about 8 seconds (unless you're deaf, in which case you should change all this text to CAPITALS) :LOL:

Also use pliers to free-off the valve shaft, it should rotate easily, if not it's the valve body which unfortunately needs changing, you should then buy the complete valve as it's only a few quid more than the head only.

So you think your pension's not much, at least you're getting one! Most of us will pay in all our working lives and look forward to diddly squat at 65 (67?)

Meldrews Mate
Ta for your precise helping the aged information. Coo how did you GUESS I AM GOING A BIT MUTTON !!!!
Righteo I will give it a go in the morning as its very hot at the moment as I switched it to manual for this evenings heat.

Must say I'm greatful to be getting this meagre pension ! but isn't everything getting expensive now. Glad I have stopped smoking (couldn't afford them and now me cough's gone as well I might live on for a bit longer getting a bigger pension after I am 75- but by then the blighters will have put that up to 80 )
Tar much will report back tomorrow. Cheers :confused: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back