How Do I Replace a Bathroom Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings to all,
I've just started renovating my bathroom and have discovered the 30 odd year old chipboard floor has had it. I plan to replace it with some 18mm Moisture Resistant flooring but here's the snag.

The existing floor continues under the stud wall into the bedroom so I can't see a way to renew the whole sheet without taking the wall down. Can I cut the floor about 6" from the wall then insert some 4X2" battens between the joists for the old & new floor to rest on or is there a better way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Rusty Scot

Sponsored Links
RustyScot said:
Greetings to all,
I've just started renovating my bathroom and have discovered the 30 odd year old chipboard floor has had it. I plan to replace it with some 18mm Moisture Resistant flooring but here's the snag.

The existing floor continues under the stud wall into the bedroom so I can't see a way to renew the whole sheet without taking the wall down. Can I cut the floor about 6" from the wall then insert some 4X2" battens between the joists for the old & new floor to rest on or is there a better way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Rusty Scot

heeelllooo rusty scott:D:D:D

youve pretty well sussed it

try and find the joists [to join old and new] cutting slightly off centre to avoid the nails or screws

set your saw blade to 0.5 to 1mm LESS than the floor thickness to avoid cutting pipes or cables [keeping in mind that the bit of flooring you measure the depth on may be swollen]

stagger your boards so they joints dont line up [like bricks]

Many thanks for such a swift response Big-All.

My Existing flooring is an 8 x 4' sheet so should I try and stagger the cuts for the new flooring (2400 x 600mm sheets) or stick to the original plan and cut straight across the entire width of the board about 6" out from the wall.

Thanks again

Rusty Scot

You may be lucky and find the studwall is built directly on top of a joist (or even doubled joists)

If so you can cut right up against the wall, screw on a piece of 4x2 or similar, and lay your new flooring onto that.

If the joists are at right angles to the studwall then, again, you can cut right up to the wall.

Skirting will cover the join.

If the studwall has been stupidly built on chipboard with no joists directly underneath :rolleyes: then you will need sort of noggins, and to cut it back in sections.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice JohnD, My stud wall is at 90 degrees to the joist so I've a clear way ahead now.

Thanks again,
Rusty Scot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back