How do I replace the grill element?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya - I have a Creda C361EK and the right half of the grill element has stopped working (as you look at the cooker), does anyone know how I replace it? I have ordered a new one but had a look today and wasn't too sure how to do it when it arrives. Any help would be apprreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
assuming its an energy saving "half grill" feature
did you check the switch and wireing to rule them out!!!

Different models of cooker vary, but the general procedure is:

Switch off the electrical supply to the cooker
Move the cooker out from the wall, open the terminal box on the back of the cooker and confirm dead using a suitable voltage indicator
Disconnect the supply cable from the terminal box, connect the ends temporarily into a terminal strip and place that inside an insulated box
Remove the back cover of the cooker. Some cookers have further covers inside which must also be removed.
Locate the grill element terminals and remove the wires, making a note of how the wires connect. (Usually they are push on spade connectors)
Remove the fixing screws/bolts holding the element in place
Remove the element by pulling it out of the front of the cooker
Remove the new element from the packaging (it should be sealed in an airtight plastic bag) and insert the element into the cooker, so the terminals/bolts go through the same holes as the old one.
Screw/bolt the element into place
Check the resistance of the new element (should be in the 10s of ohms range), and check insulation resistance between the element terminals and the metal casing of the oven (10s of megohms at least, preferably 100s).
Connect the wires to the terminals in the same way as the old element. If the connectors are loose or damaged, cut off the old ones and fit new ones using the appropriate crimping tool.
Replace the back cover(s)
Set the grill control knob to on and thermostat to maximum (sometimes this is the same control), and repeat the resistance and insulation resistance measurements at the connection plate to the cooker.
Confirm that the supply cable is still dead and reconnect it to the cooker, replace the terminal box cover.
Put the cooker back in place, switch on the supply.
Wait for the element to heat up fully, check that the whole thing heats up.
Wait until any oil/residues have burnt off.
Check that the thermostat and other control knobs switch the element on/off.
Switch off.
Complete.

assuming its an energy saving "half grill" feature
did you check the switch and wireing to rule them out!!!

Hi - Yes I checked the switch to make sure I did not have it on the half grill feature which I didn't, what do I need to check on the wiring? This is totally new to me - I would normally just call a man out but finances are tight so I am trying to learn to fix stuff myself! Thanks

Sponsored Links
big-all is saying that the element may be OK but the full/half grill switch may be knackered, or the wiring might be.
You'll need a multimemter and the knowledge of how to fault find wiring.

This may be a general fault with this type of cooker. You may be better asking in Appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back