How do I "repoint" brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please excuse this question if it's a bit daft.

I have this brickwork outside my living room window and, as you can see, the pointing/cement has eroded over time. I'd like to fix it before that corner brick falls off and I wondered if someone could tell me how I do it?

I've never "re-pointed" anything before. Can you buy 'ready mixed' pointing?? Or is there stuff that I need to mix together to put in the joint? Also, I take it that a trowel would be the best tool for the job?

Again, please excuse my ignorance, I'm fine with DIY but this is something I've never tackled in the past so I'm absolutely clueless. Thank you for any help / advice you can give me.

Cheers

John

IMG_9996.JPG

IMG_9997.JPG

Sponsored Links
5 parts soft sand, 1 part cement. Pointing trowel and/or brick jointer. Remove loose before starting. Existing looks like has red dye in it?

Thanks for that. I have some kiln-dried fine sand left over from jetwashing the drive, would that do or does it have to be a special type of sand (again.. probably stupid question...) ?

You're right that there is a 'red' hue to the cement between the bricks. Is there something I can buy in order to recreate this? (I'm not mega-fussed about it but it would be nice to make it look like the rest of the cement).

Thanks again :)

*Edit*... you said 5 sand x 1 cement. Do I mix any water in with that or is it literally just those two ingredients?

You need building sand not your kiln dried sand.

For that small area, you will be buying a bag of sand, a bag of cement and brick dye. You might be able to get a combined sand/cement bag, but it's still a lot of money and waste.

A better solution would be to use a tube of red or light coloured mastic. This will save you needing to learn how to point.

Sponsored Links
Much easier - it's not easy to keep the cement off the face of the bricks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back