How do you connect up two tv to a digital ariel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you connect up two freeview TV to a digital Ariel without getting any loss of picture/sound etc.

Sponsored Links
Use an amplified splitter. It should be something that plugs in to the mains rather than a passive Y splitter.

Try Argos, Maplin, B&Q, Tesco, ASDA or go online and look up "aerial distribution amplifier" for more info.

How do you connect up two freeview TV to a digital Ariel without getting any loss of picture/sound etc.

hi, something like this... http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...-Digital-Bypass/Product.html?searchtype=genre

I recommed putting a electricity socket in the loft and placing the amp there. Then run a wire from your aerial to the amp and cables to wherever you want your TVs!

hope that helps!

btw. cable is available online, ebay is as good as anywhere. And you should get the f-type connectors from Screwfix

Thanks for advice, thats what must be wrong at my mums house too. Just a cheap splitter must need to buy a mains one there too. one tv works ok and the other has poor snowy picture quality.

If the freeview box has recording facility and therefore has two leads is it as simple as just buying a 4 way booster and just pluging the two leads into the new mains booster leaving two free ports for another similar freeview box with two leads?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice, thats what must be wrong at my mums house too. Just a cheap splitter must need to buy a mains one there too. one tv works ok and the other has poor snowy picture quality.

If the freeview box has recording facility and therefore has two leads is it as simple as just buying a 4 way booster and just pluging the two leads into the new mains booster leaving two free ports for another similar freeview box with two leads?

in short... YES

There are various ways to do it. If possible I would always place the amp in the loft and run wires from there. think of it like a hub with one input and lots of outputs. You run a wire to wherever there is a socket in need of an aerial.

I would recommend you use an amp with f-type connectors, with them you get nearly no signal loss at each connection. With normal tv socket connectors you lose a fair chunk of the signal at every junction. By the sounds of things you need to maintain the signal all you can!

That said a number of things can affect the signal quality in your home! Namely the aerial, the cabling used, the amp, the connectors, and sockets on the walls!

Another point worth noting is that some higher end freeview boxes can work with weaker signals than cheaper ones.

The first thing you should address however is getting an amp. I would recommend this booster on play.com, Ive used it now in several installations and has worked without a problem very well.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...With-Digital-Bypass-F-Connectors/Product.html

The standard setup as I said before if cable from aerial to amp, then cables from amp to wherever your tvs are!

Hope that helps, sorry its long winded!

Quick note:

freeview TV to a digital Ariel

1) no such thing as a digital ariel so don't get suckered by that one. you just need one for the band that is transmitted (or get a wide band one).

If the freeview box has recording facility and therefore has two leads is it

2) A freeview recorder will only have one RF input required. Sat recorders have a feed from the LNB per tuner due to the way sat signals are transmitted (high and low band and H and V polarity).

Apart from that, as others have said, a decent powered amplifier/splitter will be the best route. Preferable near the ariel

A freeview recorder will only have one RF input required. Sat recorders have a feed from the LNB per tuner due to the way sat signals are transmitted (high and low band and H and V polarity).

I know its an odd one but I have seen some old freeview PVRs that required a seperate input for each tuner. I have had to wire a couple in that needed two inputs. I know its strange but they do exist!

Can I suggest to Joeylegend that he/she checks the manual and wiring diagram in it. If your box is a new one then you should only need the single input as ninjacat said!

my fault andymet87

I assummed that a freeview box has two co-ax cables coming out if it, if it is a 'recording/pause live tv/record one side while watch another' box.

I havent bought the box yet, still shopping around, sky+ has two cables and i think freesat does too, so i assumed freeview was the same.

Any advice on this type of box?

no worries!

Its all about the type of signal the box uses and how satellites work.

Basically if it is running of a satellite then you will need a seperate cable for every input. So Freesat, Sky, and Freesat from Sky will all need an input for every tuner in the box. So as a rule any satellite PVR will have two inputs.

Freeview PVRs generally only need one input as the box itself houses a powered splitter so both tuners receive a good signal. Older ones however may not have this and so have two inputs for the freeview signal.

In terms of cables...

Satellite PVR (Freesat+, Freesat from Sky+, Sky+)
uses DVB-S and DVB-S2 signals

- 2 x coax inputsfrom satellite dish
- 1 x coax input from aerial
- 1 x Scart / HDMI output (may also have scart/HDMI loopthrough)
- 1/2 x coax outputs
- many may ust have loop through straight to TV
- sky has two outputs, one to attached TV, another can do loopthrough to view sky and freeview on another TV in another room

Freeview Box / Freeview+ Box
uses DVB-T and DVB-T2 signals

- 1 x input from aerial
- 1 x loopthrough output to TV
- 1 x Scart / HDMI output (may also have scart/HDMI loopthrough)

Personally I would stay away from freesat. If you can make do with the freeview channels thats what I would have. If I had a house that had previously had sky+ installed I might think about getting a freesat+ box however I can make do with freeview.

There are lots of factors to consider when choosing your TV setup!

If you want to know anything in particular just ask! Hope thats helpful[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back