how do you cut pipes in a tight gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you all cut pipes in a tight gap. My pipe cutter like this but a 22mm pipe one-

images

Wont fit in the gap. So how do you all cut pipes in tight areas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Plumbing is only hard work if you make it hard for yourself !!!
Why would you want to cut it where it is too tight to get a pipe slice in.
Cut it where it is more convenient / accessible and replumb the section.

Plumbing is only hard work if you make it hard for yourself !!!
Why would you want to cut it where it is too tight to get a pipe slice in.
Cut it where it is more convenient / accessible and replumb the section.

The issue is that i want to install a magnaclean and there is only a small gap of pipework i can get to before it disapears through the ceiling.

As i need to get to the megnaclean thingy im limited on where it can be installed.

There is a new boiler being installed a different location in the next few months so wont be a issue then, but wanted to fit the megnaclean now to see if it helps with my sludge issue that keeps returning every couple of months.

DO NOT BUY THE FEIN!!!!!!!!!

The BEST tool you will EVER invest in to cut pipe in awkward places when the copper is TIGHT up against walls etc , or wood..is identical to feins one...yet are on sale now for £50..B&Q BOSCH PMF180E!!!

Feins multi cutter is £400+ blades are £30 EACH
Bosch one[b]exact[/b] replica..Bosch PMF180E for £77 (price at plumbfix)...baldes £8 each from toolstation!!!!!!!!!!
There are 20 and 30mm wide blades for cutting wood and copper.

Apart from being an ocsilating cutter, it is also a sander..best tool you can own..if you are fitting a fire surround/hearth..no more stich drilling..just pencil mark hearth outline and cut skirting section out!! dont want to ruin a customers varnished flooring? use the PMF180E, it gives a paper thin cut to the floorboard with no overrun onto adjoining boards. Copper pipe in awakward place? put metal 30mm blade on and it sinks through 15 & 22mm pipe like butter (pipe will need burring after) the tool has actually come from surgeons (its used to cut skulls open etc)..i call it the surgeons tool..treat yourself. (sounds like im on commision lol)[/url]

DO NOT BUY THE FEIN!!!!!!!!!

The BEST tool you will EVER invest in to cut pipe in awkward places when the copper is TIGHT up against walls etc , or wood..is identical to feins one...yet are on sale now for £50..B&Q BOSCH PMF180E!!!

Bosch one[b]exact[/b] replica..Bosch PMF180E for £77 (price at plumbfix)...baldes £8 each from toolstation!!!!!!!!!!
There are 20 and 30mm wide blades for cutting wood and copper.

Apart from being an ocsilating cutter, it is also a sander..best tool you can own..if you are fitting a fire surround/hearth..no more stich drilling..just pencil mark hearth outline and cut skirting section out!! dont want to ruin a customers varnished flooring? use the PMF180E, it gives a paper thin cut to the floorboard with no overrun onto adjoining boards. Copper pipe in awakward place? put metal 30mm blade on and it sinks through 15 & 22mm pipe like butter (pipe will need burring after) the tool has actually come from surgeons (its used to cut skulls open etc)..i call it the surgeons tool..treat yourself. (sounds like im on commision lol)[/url]

One thing i will say, the fein will out last the bosch!

At our college we have a few feins and not one has broken over the years of use. We did buy two bosch type feins and both of them failed in a matter of months.

However all our tools do get abused and maybe for the amount of use you lot will put them through i guess the bosch will be o.k?

O and all the blades are interchangable between the modles.

P.s, the fein can be purchased for under £200, the full kit of lots of different blades ect are closer to £400.

And i think i pay around £10 per blade.

my fein was no where near 400 quid, and its the best bit of kit ive ever bought, bar none. £130+vat and i get the blades for around £9 each. my mate has the bosch, its not as good.

Horses for courses..ive had me faithful bosch for 2 years now, its used almost daily and its no different from the day i brought it, I do respect it though, let the blades do the work etc. My old work partner used to give it some stick and it took it.

The fein must have come down in price (it was that when I visited interbuild couple of years ago) I have no doubt it is superior in build quality..after all you normally get what you pay for.. but I know its still overpriced for the same outcome.

If you can get the fein for that cost and the blades...I would give the fein a go!!!!

Horses for courses..ive had me faithful bosch for 2 years now, its used almost daily and its no different from the day i brought it, I do respect it though, let the blades do the work etc. My old work partner used to give it some stick and it took it.

The fein must have come down in price (it was that when I visited interbuild couple of years ago) I have no doubt it is superior in build quality..after all you normally get what you pay for.. but I know its still overpriced for the same outcome.

If you can get the fein for that cost and the blades...I would give the fein a go!!!!

Yes it has come down in cost over the years. I think the main issue is that they used to try and sell the whole kit with loads of stuff you dont need.

Fein make the supacut which is the industrial version £400 or so.... with a diamond blade good for tile cutting without dust. The multimaster a little less robust.
But my bosch 10.8v version does everyuthing with a three year guarantee what about £140 !

BULLSH1T! The bare Fein is about £100 and blades are about a tenner (still pricey though). Being Bosch green (as opposed to blue), the PMF180 is DIY tool, i've not used it but I doubt it's as quality a tool as the Fein. I have an adapter to use Bosch blades on the Fein so is the Bosch's are slightly cheaper I just get them.

As i'm sure most would agree, sanding is a sh1te job but I can honestly say it is a pleasure with the Fein. One of my guys recently sanded an entire worktop with just 3 little triangles of the sandpaper that comes with the Fein.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back