how do you cut round notch into a square tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a tile to fit around a pipe in a shower. This pipe will be near to the edge of the tile. It will be covered by a plastic cover but i still want a good fit if possible :eek:

Sponsored Links
i cut mine as follows for exactly the same reason

get a plank of woo. screws formers to hold the tile very securly in place

place tile upside down into the former.

Use a hand drill or low power drill to drill through the tile very carefully. drill the series of holes just inside the area you want to cut out. after drilling a dozen or so holes get a fine coping saw and join the holes up. the middle pops out and you can tidy up with a round file.

When marking the tile remember you will be looking at the back so if the hole isnt dead center you need to practice with cardboard first, or buy lots of tiles

Sponsored Links
I managed to cut two in two tiles for a shower. They had plastic covers over them so I had a few mm to play with.

I marked out the area of the required hole on masking tape which was applied to the tile. I drilled into the surface of the tile, big enough to fit a carbide jigsaw blade into it. ANd used a jigsaw to cut the round hole. The blade has some cutting surface on the side so was easy, but slow to cut in a circle.

Worked fine, wasnt really neat but as the cover was over it, it didn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back