How do you get silicon off..............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done a stupid thing, I know I'm a girl I'm allowed to................

Re-grouted under the shower and then had a :idea: " lets put clear silicon over the top that will stop it going black"

Which it does, but the clear silicon has made the limestone grout look like it's always wet, which it probably is, so I need to get the silicon off and then re-grout the bits I did..........

I know

I know

I can here all the men saying now.............................. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
buy some silicone eater - available from all good DIY stores, follow directions. Hey presto. You could try cut it out with a very sharp blade but you may scratch bath/shower.

Is that silicon eater any good?My friend told me it was rubbish so I always otp for a stanley blade or scraper,normally does the trick with some perseverance. ;)

you can actually purchase a silicone remover its a sharp blade in the shape of a sort of triangular thingy that removes it either side as opposed to the usual stanley blade one side at a time. saves time and effort.

Sponsored Links
Silicone eater! For f**ks sake. :rolleyes:
chezzer,
Use a wood chisel and carefully cut into the grout joint from either side so that you remove the silicone and a portion of the grout. You'll need to re-grout a little when you've finished.

Silicone eater! For f**ks sake. :rolleyes:
chezzer,
Use a wood chisel and carefully cut into the grout joint from either side so that you remove the silicone and a portion of the grout. You'll need to re-grout a little when you've finished.

hae you ever used a silicone remover Gcol? they are wonderful items, especially for the old silicone thats been there years.

Yep, but never had the patience to wait for silicone eater jefoss. A sharp chisel will rip if off clean and quick.

Yep, but never had the patience to wait for silicone eater jefoss. A sharp chisel will rip if off clean and quick.

i dont use silicone eater just the scraper. i wonder if a goat would be jsut as good as silicone eater?

Just listen to Gary Barlow

Just have a little "patience"

I have used the silicone eater. It is good stuff. Scraping out is better if you have a steady hand.

cheers guys........................ :D

will try the chisel first, but don't think that will work, as I might smash the glass shower screen, so might get a grout removing tool thing or a electricians screw driver............... :rolleyes:

Well ive used the Unibond silicone remover several times and its superb.Especially for old cured mastic. ALWAYS resilicone with BAL microseal silicone because you wont get black mould.
Q. Do you know what the black mould is ?
A. E-coli / listeria / salmonela. A lovely combination from our body fats and fluids.FACT.

keep the Silicone Remover away from your chest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back