How Do You Join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All of you Fine Guy's and Gals

How do you join onto to existising wall with a new wall. Existing wall is brick rendered and pebbledashed. I will remove pebbledash. Is there some sort of bonding used to join on.

In olden days brickies used to tie in by removing an old brick every couple of feet to tie in. All the new extensions I have seen this is no longer done. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
One of these:

p1576025_x.jpg

Softus said:
One of these:

p1576025_x.jpg

I will tie-in the new extension wall with something similar to the above picture.

What I'm wondering is when an external wall becomes an internal you can get bridging/damp ingress. So how exactly do you install a vertical DPC without punturing it when tieing in?

Sorry if this question sounds lame!

Plan:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/740/plan3gc.jpg

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Who did the measuring? Very impressed that he/she got down to half a mm. :D

I think the architect simply used multiples of the std metric brick dimension of 215mm + 10mm mortar

e.g 4377.5= 19.5 bricks (225mm each brick)-10mm mortar

Judging by the way my ex council house was built it could be a nightmare gauging old and new bricks. i.e. There's anything upto an 25mm difference per 10 bricks vertical on different parts of the house.

carryoncamping said:
Softus said:
One of these:

p1576025_x.jpg

I will tie-in the new extension wall with something similar to the above picture.

What I'm wondering is when an external wall becomes an internal you can get bridging/damp ingress. So how exactly do you install a vertical DPC without punturing it when tieing in?

Sorry if this question sounds lame!

Plan:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/740/plan3gc.jpg[/QUOTE]

Is it a simple case of using a 'disc cutter' or angle grinder to cut a line through the wall you are building into, approximately central to the cavity of the new adjoining wall for the full height of the building? A DPC is then inserted into the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back