How do you look after a 'special' old patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Not only new to the forum, but new to a lot of DIY stuff, so hope to learn a lot. Might even be able to help, in time, too. :eek:

I have what is in effect an old patio that is beginning to be in need of some pointing and repair work. The patio surrounds a concrete pool that has cast marble/white stonework around its edge and York stone elsewhere on the patio. The stonework is quite black in places and needs a good clean. Also, the pointing between the stonework is starting to fail in places and needs to be done.

What is the best way to:

• clean all the stonework around an outdoor swimming pool (I have access to neat chlorine, if this can do the job with the blackened stonework)
    repair the pointing

Hope people can help.

SavCom

Sponsored Links
Hello Savcom,

I wouldnt use Chlorine to clean with. not healthy!

Some may advise blasting it with a power washer but it has disadvantages. It may damage grouting, its a wetting experience and takes a deal of time.

I have a large patio and deck which I clean with Stardrops, a Superspray hose end sprayer and a stiff brush.

Dose the superspray with stardrops (detergent) and connect to hosepipe. The superspray will dilute as you spray so no need for buckets. Spray the foam ontop the surface and leave for a few mins for the detergent to work. Give it a good scrub with a stiff yard brush, Turn superspray hose end sprayer to clean water and rinse off.

You need to be careful what you use to clean a patio with because you will undoubtably get 'overspray' landing on plants and grass which they may not enjoy.

Id clean it before I did any repair then it may be easier to see the extent of repairs needed. with regular cleaning its bound to come up nice and clean. For really difficult local areas I suppose you could try a brick cleaner but be very careful as its acid base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back