How do you repaint doors because gloss needs days to dry !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question really, is there some secret to repainting doors and door frames when gloss paint needs days to fully harden off !
A few years ago I repainted my front door and screwed a batten in front of it so I could leave it a few inches open for a day and a half to dry.
And this was in the summer.
I closed the door 36 hours later once I thought it was dry. When I reopened it the following morning there was a paint/scuff mark all the way round the edge where the door had been pressed up against the frame.

How do you do it !

Sponsored Links
a method I have sometimes used is to remove the staple (keep) in the frame that the lock goes into. This gives a bit of extra slack and allows you to close the door without it closing tightly on the frame (you can put a couple of matchsticks in unobtrusive areas to keep them apart). In any case, you can paint a door to a higher standard if you take the locks, escutcheons and handles off, and this enables you to polish up the brasswork, and to clean and graphite moving parts.

however, this does reduce the strength of the lock protection until you refit it, so I would not do it if the house was empty. If the door is not a very tight fit you may be able to space it off with matchsticks even without removing the staple.

Do any priming and undercoating in advance so they are dry before your final sand and gloss.
You can also try painting the door and the frame a couple of weeks apart, so they are not both soft at the same time.

I also find water-based paints go hard far quicker than oil paints.

I am a DIYer not a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back