How do you tell that a window has been externally laminated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to tell that a window has been externally laminated? Unlike toughened windows which have a kyte mark on the window, is there such a system for lamination? Can you tell by looking through the glass?

Sponsored Links
the glass is thicker than usual. I had a patio door fitted with a laminated DG unit last year, I think it cost a couple of hundred extra. Due to the extra thickness the door is abnormally heavy, and also more soundproof. I don't think there is a stamp on it but perhaps I will remember to have a look.

Or are you talking about the adhesive plastic film you can fit? You can probably see it by looking carefully at the edges, because IIRC is it fitted and cut so it stops just short of the bead or gasket.

Sponsored Links
you should be able to hear the difference if you knock on the glass with your knuckles (like you would knock on a door). single glass will sound hollow, lami will sound solid.

Hi JohnD
Yes talking about the solid stuff not stick on film. Would you say that it is uncomfortably heavy? Could it wear out the door / track more quickly? I will have a 4.1m wide opening and 2.6m high. Undecided between patio or bifold yet.

It would be great if you could confirm if there is a stamp on the window etc to indicate anything for lamination.

Cheers.

I can't see a stamp.

The link to google search (above) seems to relate to car windows.

Ok. What is your thought about my comment on wearing out the doors/tracks because of the weight?

From my understanding if the hinges are designed for the extra weight, make sure that the unit is correctly spaced in the frame.
I recently had a set of bi-folds installed, 2.1m high - 1m wide panels. I insisted on 2.4m high runners such that i can replace the standard glass with lami in the future ( i can get lami unit cheaper then the company would provide).

On a set of french doors at my parents place, the original unit had no spacers circ 2000 install, and soon came out of square (alu frame). After a break-in, we replaced with lami units, put spacers around the whole unit and squared it. door has been fine since installing in 2011 with the extra weight and staying square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back