How does a CORGI plumb a gas hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CORGI registered plumber coming today to connect my new gas hob to the gas supply.

The kitchen fitter (not CORGI registered) who installed the hob in the worktop ran copper pipe from the gas supply with compression fittings to the hob all joints wrapped in gas ptfe tape and said it was fine and tested and sure enough it worked with no leaks.

However I said I wanted a CORGI in to do, so isolated the hob and called a CORGI Plumber.

My question is will the CORGI test the setup the fitter did and allow this if ok or does this setup breech some reg, if not what is the correct way of piping the hob in that the CORGI will use.

Sponsored Links
Your kitchen fitter shouldn't have touched the gas and you are right to get a corgi engineer in to check it.

I doubt he has checked it properly.

Make sure you get something in writing (receipt) from the corgi guy so your insurance is still valid.

CORGI will test the entire gas carcass for leaks including new hob pipe work.

The only problem I can envisage is that he has used compression joints. These are only allowed in accessible and visible locations, therefore if there are any behind the units they are not allowed.

He will also check clearances to combustible materials, height of extractor fan/hood and ventilation requirements depending on size of kitchen etc.

At least you had the sense to insist on a CORGI to install it in the end :rolleyes:

The hob will have to notified to CORGI and Building Control as well which he should do automatically.

I know I had concerns about him touching the gas because it's illegal isn't it unless corgi reg? Will he give me a certificate as a matter of course when the CORGI plumbs the hob or do I need to ask for one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
The hob will have to notified to CORGI and Building Control as well which he should do automatically.

:eek: that i never knew!

The corgi isn't the installer, so unless he takes it out and puts it in again, he can't notify it.
All he can give you is a Gas Safety Record.

True about compression fittings, but the isolator itself and the connection to the hob would typically be comression.

Just an update, received a gas safety cert from the corgi plumber.

He left all the fittings my kitchen fiiter did and put a digital meter on the gas meter which checked for leaks he said it wasn't leaking and that compression joints are ok just that they need to be visable, he prefers not to use them as they can get knocked.

So very happy all in.

You must also get a certificate from corgi. Is he going to register this hob with them as well as giving you his own certificate? or did he just do a safety check on it without actually connecting the gas to it?

gas4you said:
You must also get a certificate from corgi.
Are you sure that this is the householder's responsibility, gas4you?

I didn't mean him personally, but that any new gas appliance installed must be notified by whoever installed it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back