How does one estimate wall building costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If one wants to estimate the costs of building a block, cavity and brick wall is there a formula for each m2?

Assuming good quality bricklayers etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In a nutshell. No!!
Wall could be 20m2 or 200m2
Different types of blocks can vary by £5 m2 +VAT out of builders yards and possibly 15% cheaper buying full loads direct.
Ditto with bricks from builders yards can vary between £450 per 1000 up to £900 per 1000 depending on make of brick. Could be 15% cheaper full loads direct.
Sand can vary by £!5 a ton if buying 20 ton loads direct from quarry.
Depending on location and demand and amount, brick work labour can be from £325 per 1000 up to £450 per 1000
Ditto block work £8 to £15 m2.
You need to price each job accordingly..
Regards oldun

Thanks Oldun, I appreciate there are a lot of variables. If I gave some more details would that help to give a ballpark figure?

1) 65m2 to be block/cavity/brick. (but about 10m2 of doors/windows need to be subtracted)

2) 40m2 to be block/cavity/block/render (but about 7m2 of windows need to be subtracted)

Bricks will be expensive, approx £1.20p each

Assume sand/blocks etc from a builders yard not from quarry etc.

Assume blockwork done at an average of the two figures you mentioned ie £11/m2 and same for brickwork ie £380/1000 bricks.

Thanks for your help.

I'll give another tenner to help the heroes if you can help :)

Indy
We will help anyone who is prepared to help the heroes fund. Only problem will not get to it until end of week. Will suggest a block and insululation to give current u values.
London prices vary to round our way, but will not be to far adrift. What part of the smoke do you live in and general post code.
Regards oldun
PS will also list rates allowed for and you can adjust accordingly.

Sponsored Links
It costs more to build an aperture (doors, windows etc) than it does to not build one - i.e. solid masonry.

Hi Oldun, whenever you have time is absolutely fine. Your time is always appreciated and I'll send my general postcode by pm.

Noseall, do you mean it costs more just to make the 'opening' or do you mean it costs more because of the cost of the glazing?

Thanks

Noseall, do you mean it costs more just to make the 'opening' or do you mean it costs more because of the cost of the glazing?
I was a bit blasé with my post but it CAN cost more just to build an opening when you consider that the jambs have to be plumbed, sill details, header details, setting out, awkward 3/4's and closures that need cutting with a grinder due to perf' bricks etc.

If you are thinking that an opening is saving money then think again.

Noseall, do you mean it costs more because of the cost of the glazing?

Thanks
There is a lot more to an opening than just the window or door.

Apart from the things i've mentioned in the above post also consider that there are cavity closers to fit, the window or door, the reveal plastering and beads, window board as well as the internal and external masonry.

The whole window/door thing is a heck of a lot more expensive than solid masonry.

interesting thread, i was just wondering how much a bricky would take for a 215mm thick solid block, rather than brick/block cavity, and there is about 150m2+ , v had prices from £15/m2 to about "22/m2 in london area. i hoping someone could give me a better idea, as £7 difference by 150 = over a grand difference.

hamazz

Indy
Everything you need in your PM box
Extract your price from all the information provided.
Regards oldun

Thanks oldun :D

Sorry for the delay in replying. There is so much detail in your reply that it's taken me quite some time to read it all and digest it.

I think I've got the answer I need, which is to basically price up the brick/blockwork of my proposed extension.

I was reassured to note that things like the dritherm 32 you recommended is exactly what is stated on my BR drawings.

Many thanks again and I'll get £20 to HTH next week :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back