How easy should a zone valve be to turn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Satchwell SM3203 (motor open/motor close) 2 port zone valve controlling the flow to the hot water cylinder which has stopped working. I've removed the actuator and found that when triggering it via the cylinder thermostat it starts to turn but then stops and clicks and won't turn the 90 degrees unaided so assume it need replacing. This is a 30 year old system.

My question is, has the actuator just worn out or has a stiff valve damaged it. The valve was initially hard to turn but now I can turn it with my fingers. How free should it be, i.e. should it spin (obviously not), should I be able to turn it with fingers by just gripping the shaft or, as in my case, is it free enough if I can turn it by spade end?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Bump

Can no one really answer this as I don't want to install a new actuator just to have it broken by an over stiff valve?

You can normally turn them with your fingers, however once they stiffen up they are on the way out, even if you oil/loosen it. A more worrying problem is they usually go stiff because of dirt in the system.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back