How Far Can I Chisel Out Of A Supporting Wall Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Basically what i am doing is sinking in the waste pipe in my bathroom preparing to tile over. I have already sunk my water pipes in but came unstuck with the waste pipes for my sink. Its was fine with the hot/cold water pipes as these only required me to chisel out 15mm-20mm out of the wall.

The waste pipe is about 30mm and i noticed after about 25mm that i chisel out of the wall i noticed i actually gone straight through the plaster and a layer of breeze block. Then after this there is a 2" gap and a fresh layer of breeze block or thermalite if this is correct?

This is all be done under my window which will be supported a lintel of some type, does this mean i will be ok to chisel out a 1-1.5m section of wall and sink my waste pipe in the 2" gap and then tile over?

It might seem long winded but i wanted to make this as clear as possible.

I dont want my wall to drop or everything disastrous. I am not very experienced at the building side of things

Thank you

Leigh

:)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bury any sort of pipework in a wall. Box it in! Or if you're going for the "seamless, minimal" look, build a large bulkhead which will serve as a handy tiled shelf on top. To the front of the bulkhead you can affix the basin and toilet etc, and you can keep pretty little pots of perfume and soap on top of it!

Hi, Steve

Thank you for your reply, what you have recommended is not such a bad idea. I am already committed with the water pipes as i have sunk these into the wall. But i have not put any waste pipes in the cavity yet nor i have i done any tiling so there is a option to turn back.

Can i ask what other reasons you would not advise this practice other than the obvious leaking pipes that wouldn't be visable .

Thank you

Leigh

leighsmith12 said:
Can i ask what other reasons you would not advise this practice other than the obvious leaking pipes that wouldn't be visable.

Is that not reason enough?

What about blockages (in the case of your waste pipe)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

leighsmith12 wrote:

Can i ask what other reasons you would not advise this practice other than the obvious leaking pipes that wouldn't be visable.

Is that not reason enough?

What about blockages (in the case of your waste pipe)

The question was not about whether that was reason enough, but to gather as much information about the job i intend on doing and also weighing up the pros and cons.

The question was also open to whether people have experienced other problems with the proposed plan of disguising feed and waste pipes.

Thank you

Leigh

Leigh
As a plumber I would always advise not burying pipes. Can you not go straight out through the wall and then run surface to your soil stack?
Make sure you wrap the water pipes in a suitable material to prevent them freezing and protect from whatever you cover ie mortar, plaster.
Also I have seen hot pipes buried cracking plaster and popping off tiles as they expand and contract.

You may then find with added insulation the chase you require is too large to keep the integrity of the wall.

Boxing in is the smart way to go with access at each bend incorporated.

Remember if you breach the cavity ensure you seal it up.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back