How forgiving is underlay? Slightly uneven flooring.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
Have a throughrom which is waiting to be carpeted. Lounge is floorboards, dining room concrete. Only 3mm tops between the two but ideally don't want any showthrough. Priced up some 3.5mm ply but not really wanting to pay £110 i've been quoted. I was thinking, could i lay some form of cheap underlay or felt underneath the underlay to bring the two rooms level? Would this work? And if i just left it how it was would there diffinately be a showthrough? I plan on using 9mm cloud 9 cirrus underlay with a felt backed carpet.

Many many thanks in advance to any replyers!!!!

Sponsored Links
would think about putting down the "board" type of laminate floor underlay down 1st in the lower area to make good the difference. then use carpet underlay as normal. the board type is about 4mm thk so might just do it.

i find felt carpet underlay more forgiving than rubber but i feel 3.5mm is too much and will show through

The felt boards are no good to you as you cant put gripper down if using it. For the sake of a 100 quid you might aswell do it the correct way. And yes it will show the dip if you dont.

Sponsored Links
just a further thought i've stopped using carpet down stairs and now use laminate. this would avoid the gripper problem. i've had similar step and sorted using the felt board over the timber and foam over the concrete

with a though room arrangement the laminate really does look spot on. these days i also think the laminate is cheaper and much better wearing.

otherwise i'd follow matt's advice as your likely to end up messing about too much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back