How hot water works on a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Can someone help me, or correct me please.

I'm trying to work out how combi's work, I know they are hot water instantaneous and have no stored water like a cylinder system does

But do they operate in different ways for hot water.

Is this how they work when a hot tap is opened:

Water passes through diverter valve, diaphragm deflects upwards, pushes microswitch up to close switch and send power back to pcb

pcb then (if hot water thermistor calling - working ok) sends power to fan/aps/gas valve/ignition etc?

Or does the microswitch from the diverter send power to the pump, which then activates the main flow switch when in turn, if hot water thermistor working / calling - activates ignition (fan, aps, gas valve, etc)

Sponsored Links
Do you mean depending on the combi make/model? I know some have flow switches instead, and no diverter valve or some have a flow switch and a diverter valve.

Probably most but not all combi's use a diaphragm to detect the hot tap turning on.

With modern combi boilers pretty much everything is controlled by the PCB

Sponsored Links
What would the signs be or likely faults be with a combi if you have no hot water at taps and it's just running through cold?

Boiler make and model would help.

Does the boiler fire for Htg? This pretty much tells you if the boiler simply works or not.

If this has a diaphragm does the pin move? to operate the microswitch?

I don't have a fault I was just enquiring about combi boilers as I am moving into a flat with one and have heard they can go faulty quite often! Was just trying to find out about them from anyone who could help.

Tell us the Make and model and we can advise you on rough age, regular faults etc.

But don't worry yourself into a fault

Yes, but its not a Worcester 28i !

They are not one of the most reliable boilers!

It may not be ideal...... but at least its not an Ideal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back