How important is radiator location in a room?

Sponsored Links
the idea of putting rads under the window is an old one. With draughty old single glazed windows there, the heat loss is highest, so the maximum heat goes straight outside to warm the sky.

If energy was free you might not mind.

It also prevents you having long curtains.

Modern glazing and curtains mean that the cold area next to the window is not such a problem for comfort now, but it is still the worst place for energy loss. A rad on an internal wal is better for comfort throughout the room.

This study proves you are correct about the extra energy loss associated with placement of radiators under windows.
http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v34/v34-172.pdf

I rest my case. :mrgreen:

It seems well written even though they are in a country that supports bombers! And don't need so much heating anyway!

Sponsored Links
This study proves you are correct about the extra energy loss associated with placement of radiators under windows.
http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v34/v34-172.pdf

I rest my case. :mrgreen:

No ****, Sherlock.

It makes no mention of the very valid reasons for placing heat emitters under windows, despite the increased heat losses.

The alternative, the convective conveyor belt, does seem to be a most efficient means of moving heat from the radiator to the external wall, with little heat actually passing through the rest of the room.

Plumbers have been putting radiators under windows for more than 100 years, Was that because every old-time plumber was stupid? Or could the old-timers possibly have had a better understanding than the Iranian academics?

Onetap wrote

It makes no mention of the very valid reasons for placing heat emitters under windows

No **** Sherlock. Valid maybe for old single glazing.
Not for modern highly insulated glazing units.

I am in the process of stripping out my bungalow completely and thinking about where to position things..

So thinking about the radiators I was always under the impression they should be under the windows for best efficiency and comfort but mine are all currently on the inner walls..

My guess is that this is because the central heating system was retro fitted at some point and it was just easier to drop the pipes from the "middle" of the house than at the edges where there isn't much space to work in the loft..

Should I try and reposition the radiators to the outer walls under windows when I get the heating sorted or doesn't it make much difference and so not worth the hassle (and probably extra cost)??

Traditionally radiators were put under windows to combat draughts, in the days of leaky, single glazed windows. However, this does increase heat loss and is energy inefficient. Also, they get in the way of curtains.

I think modern and energy efficient practice is to install radiators on internal walls where possible, but of course a lot of people still do things the way they have always been done... because that's the way they have always been done.

I am in the process of stripping out my bungalow completely and thinking about where to position things..

So thinking about the radiators I was always under the impression they should be under the windows for best efficiency and comfort but mine are all currently on the inner walls..

My guess is that this is because the central heating system was retro fitted at some point and it was just easier to drop the pipes from the "middle" of the house than at the edges where there isn't much space to work in the loft..

Should I try and reposition the radiators to the outer walls under windows when I get the heating sorted or doesn't it make much difference and so not worth the hassle (and probably extra cost)??

Traditionally radiators were put under windows to combat draughts, in the days of leaky, single glazed windows. However, this does increase heat loss and is energy inefficient. Also, they get in the way of curtains.

I think modern and energy efficient practice is to install radiators on internal walls where possible, but of course a lot of people still do things the way they have always been done... because that's the way they have always been done.

Indeed. Old habits die hard.

Says it all.....
tl3c.png

Agile wrote

In the well insulated new builds they never bother with rads under the window!
Spot on!

Another reason for placement on the inner walling is the window sizing.
Here in the province the sizing is restricted so you have a window 1m wide then about 1.5 of wall then another 1m window.

So a radiator stretched between is going to look pretty darn stoopid.
But there are plenty of stoopid plumbers about who would certainly try it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back