How is carpet fitted to curved steps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My floor is currently being carpeted but the fitter has hit upon a problem which are a few curved steps or steps with a radius. He's suggesting nosing or stitching. But the most cost effective nosing which is plastic is ugly and the most attractive which is brass/bronze is really expensive. He's also suggested stitching but says this may not be durable. Has anyone got any views on the stitching method or can you suggest any other way of fitting a carpet on to rounded steps?

Sponsored Links
Certainly, the edge of the step is rounded as the one shown in the picture, but it is in fact the whole front of the few few steps which are curved.

the carpet can be hand sewn, it won't need to be sewn accross the whole front of the step, this will result in a visible line where the sewing is done and will be perfectly durable. An alternative will be to cap and band the step, basically two pieces of carpet, the piece for the riser is glued to the riser, the tread is pinned under the nosing, you will lose the waterfall effect of the carpet dropping down the stairs, then having a ridge where the tread is pinned unlike the rest of the stairs though.

If the fitter is confident in hand sewing, then I would do this, not many fitters hand sew now, and it's attractive as well as being nice to ba able to say that the unsual step has been fitted in the traditional way by a craftsman, not just thrown down.

Sponsored Links
Is the hand sewing technique durable? I'm not worried by the loss of the water fall effect which exists on the above steps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back