How long did it take before you noticed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps this demonstrates how liberally-minded I am, or how good my upbringing was... Either that or I'm just oblivious to everything around me! :LOL:

Last night I went out in Islington with a bunch of mates. After a very nice dinner we went to a bar. I can't remember the name but it was very narrow with a mirror down one side if anyone else knows it, either on or near Upper Street.

We were in there from about 11 until 2, and it wasn't until well after 1am that we twigged it was a gay bar! It wasn't until I picked up a magazine called "Boyz", with adverts for "saunas" and "lonely hearts" ads that everything else fitted into place.

Obviously in this day and age that is no reason to run away screaming into the night, so we stayed, it was a good bar and had a great atmosphere plus they were serving some great beers. The chaps in there were far more friendly than in other pubs, even more friendly than an Aussie bar. Hell, one guy even invited me to attend a party that he said was taking place in the toilets! Although I didn't take him up on his invitation, I had recently had a wee so didn't need to go again.

This beats my previous record, where we were sat in a brothel for 2 minutes before we realised it wasn't a normal bar... That is the only time I have ever sprinted out of a bar! :LOL:

Can anyone beat this for sheer lack of observation of surroundings? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
YEA thats what you say. :LOL: Mmmm I was on a bus thought it was a train :rolleyes:

when i went to bournmouth years ago the chap at the hotel said alot of the pubs were gay pubs,so me and the wife went to most of them and found the people more "normal" than a straight pub,they were not in your face and were really really nice people and the atmosphere was very relaxed,there was no "what you looking at mate" "oy,you spilt my beer w*****R" and we had a really good weekend.no one was dressed as a cowboy or had black leathers on,in fact you'd have been hard pushed to know it was a gay bar unless someone had told you before entering.everyone to there own i say.

Sponsored Links
I was on this forum for several hours once, until I noticed that real life was passing me by!

I was working in Brighton a few years ago, after work I went to the hotel bar and merrily started upping the expenses claim by knocking back bottles of Holsten Pils. There was another bloke at the bar and, as blokes do, we started chatting - roads, football, etc. After a while I realised the conversation had changed and for about the previous 30 minutes the bloke had been trying to chat me up!!!!!

I was in shock, I had to tell him that I only batted for one team and it wasn't his! I could blame the beer for my lack of observation or it could be, as AdamW wonders, am I more liberal than I thought? He must have been desperate though - I think I was beaten with two ugly sticks!

dg123 said:
After a while I realised the conversation had changed and for about the previous 30 minutes the bloke had been trying to chat me up!!!!!!

He was obviously more subtle that the guy who came up tp me when I was having a quick pint in a bar in Gran Canaria, he asked me what the time was and then asked me if I knew where the nearest gay bar was!

Well, if you sit in a bar trying to chat up a woman you seldom succeed. You sit there, gawping, looking a bit unsure of yourself, quite unattractive really. Yet sometimes you go out in dirty clothes, unshaven, just because you're bored and fancied a pint, and you end up pulling.

Now, because you were just "being yourself", he obviously found that very attractive...

Perhaps he should have his Gaydar recalibrated though ;)

I tottaly relate to the original poster, I was Oxford Last year with three friends, one of whom is gay. We all wandered down into this bar and as I walked in I though "This is different" but thought nothing more of it.

Took two hours to twig, I should have realised when I noticed the Landlords dog was a chocolate brown poodle with a large diamonte collar.

I'm completely oblivious to all this.

On a related note, upon leaving this pub it had a huge rainbow flag flying outside, and we were informed this denoted it being a gay pub, I'd never heared of this before either!

I must have lead a sheltered life.

Mudster said:
I tottaly relate to the original poster, I was Oxford Last year with three friends, one of whom is gay. We all wandered down into this bar and as I walked in I though "This is different" but thought nothing more of it.

Took two hours to twig, I should have realised when I noticed the Landlords dog was a chocolate brown poodle with a large diamonte collar.

I'm completely oblivious to all this.

On a related note, upon leaving this pub it had a huge rainbow flag flying outside, and we were informed this denoted it being a gay pub, I'd never heared of this before either!

I must have lead a sheltered life.

I think you must have been in The Blenheim.

Sponsored Links
Back