how long have 17th Ed certs been available for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering - have been told by my sparky you can only issue 17th Edition since 1st July but from what I can find out they've been around since 1st Jan. Also do the references DCN3 or 4 make any difference?

I'm having serious trust issues with my electrician and would appreciate any reassurance.

Sponsored Links
Basically if you were designing an installation to the 17th edition you could issue a 17th ed EIC before 1st July. Or, still use 16th ed as necessary.
After 1st July you can only issue 17th ed EIC for the work done on a 16th/17th ed compliant installation.

thank you - so as he quoted me for 17th ed and kept telling me he was certifying to 17th ed for a job designed and started in june this year - am i right is saying that him telling me that he couldn't certify to 17th even if he wanted to because the certificates weren't available until 1st july is rubbish?

Sponsored Links
.. because i've been issued with a 16th Ed certificate (DCN3) amended to 2004 and it wasn't until the certificate arrived that any mention of NOT doing the job to 17th Ed was raised. I appreciate this is strictly speaking legal as the job was completed prior to 1st July (although even i can see that there are some errors on the certificate i have been issued with and i have no electrical experience other than being a customer so I don't trust it either).

the QS has tippexed out where the tester put the smoke alarm MCB - ie where it always has been and still is on the CU on the RCD side and shuffled all the numbers of the MCBs and 'moved' it to the non RCD side.

also .. is this a normal procedure?:

i hire a company who send one person who quotes for the job and is main contact.

2nd person plus mate does job including design (who isn't Part P)

3rd person tests job (never on site until testing day)

and 4th person (on site on day 1 before any work's done then never again) is the QS and signs other section of form and makes changes to the form (can identify different handwriting/pen colour in addition to obvious Tippex marks)

the QS has tippexed out where the tester put the smoke alarm MCB - ie where it always has been and still is on the CU on the RCD side and shuffled all the numbers of the MCBs and 'moved' it to the non RCD side.
So the schedule of circuits doesn't match what you actually have?

Get onto the trade body that they are registered with and make a complaint.

no it doesn't and that's just what i can immediately identify as a lay person.

by the way this is a Trustmark company. I'm finding the word trust very had to swallow as I have been lied to so often

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back