How long is newly painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought some stainless steel fixtures to put up in my newly painted bathroom, but the box says dont put up on newly painted walls as the there can be a chemical reaction that causes discoloration, but it doesnt say how long to wait.

Does anyone know?

I painted the bathroom with Tescos Kitchen and Bathroom paint (before people start screaming, I had planned on Dulux Trade Eggshell, but used it all up on the kitchen and so was in Tescos and got that, it took 3 coats but it looks okay)

Thanks in anticipation
Lindsay

Sponsored Links
Just follow the advice given on the tin for drying times, once it has dried you will have no problems.
If you have just painted it, and used emulsion, tomorrow will be fine.

LindsayO said:
I just bought some stainless steel fixtures to put up in my newly painted bathroom, but the box says dont put up on newly painted walls as the there can be a chemical reaction that causes discoloration, but it doesnt say how long to wait.

Does anyone know?

I painted the bathroom with Tescos Kitchen and Bathroom paint (before people start screaming, I had planned on Dulux Trade Eggshell, but used it all up on the kitchen and so was in Tescos and got that, it took 3 coats but it looks okay)

Thanks in anticipation
Lindsay

I personally find that it can take upto 28 days for paint to totaly harden/dry/cure etc.....

Third_Eye said:
I personally find that it can take upto 28 days for paint to totaly harden/dry/cure etc.....

If its emulsion, which is water based, 24 hours will be fine for attaching Stainless steel fixtures.

Sponsored Links
Believe me....

It can take upto 28 days for any paint to totaly harden/dry/cure....

Thanks Third-Eye, I want to put the house on the market as soon as possible, ie as soon as I've finished decorating, so I'm in a bit of a quandry, but ach weel.

I've also got some crome shelves I want to put up, they dont have any equivalent warning, do you think they are safe to put up?

Erm......

I personally would bang on the heating in the bathroom constantly for 72 hours. Then apply fixtures.

You see the problem is i.e. Supermatt dries/cures in 2 hours which is an emulsion. However, Kitchen & Bathroom emulsions can take upto 28 days to totaly dry/cure. Even though both mentioned are emulsions.

Thid_Eye,
Thanks for the info and advice, just as well its cooled off again, the heat goes on for the next 3 days.
Lindsay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back