How long to dry out after pipe burst?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hie,

We just bought a 1930s semi which had a burst pipe in Dec last year. There was flooding and therefore a lot of damp in that are of the house, i.e bathroom and kitchen.

What we have no idea about is how long we can expect it to take to dry out sufficiently for us to renovate and decorate etc.

Is it worthwhile to hire a heavy duty dehumudifier? Do they work even?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
a decent dehumidifier will get rid of visible water in around 2 weeks.

deep soaked wet bricks and concrete.. a lot longer...if ever.

You need a dessicant type, they operate 100% at any level of humidity or temperature.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour had a burst radiator pipe in a bedroom which leaked through the ceiling and down 2 walls, flooding two downstairs living rooms to a depth of just ½". The insurance company insisted that 2 industrial dehumidifiers plus 4 heavy duty fans were running constantly for 3 weeks to dry everything out. They told her not to re-decorate for at least a further month.

Being a decorator, I started the work 3 months after the leak and there were still some minor damp areas then.

I don't know how bad your flood was, but hope this may give you a rough guide as to how long it could take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back