how long will it last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Greetings,

Pretty newbie on anything diy wise so thought I will gather the opinion of the expert.

I live in a block of 4 flat where I am the only owner occupier so trying to keep an eye on what's happening building wise.

We are aiming to repaint the full building in maybe 2016 if we have enough money in the pot or maybe by 2017.

Do you think that this can be ok another winter or maybe another two winters?

Thanks and best regards.

Sponsored Links
Who can say?

Frost can cause a lot of damage.

Once water goes in those gaps, it can freeze, then split the lot open, causing a tricky repair job.

It's a sad fact no one budgets properly for outdoor painting. Things need to be kept up in good time, and not put off and put off.

If you're worried about it, why not organise a temporary repair just to the really bad bits?

Have seen many beautiful features on houses not cared for in time, and later turned to nothing but dust.

Of course, we may be lucky with the weather.

That said, it doesn't look as bad as it could be, and I suspect many, many buildings are in a similar condition - and they don't seem to be falling to bits.

Any money reserved for something else that could be dipped into for now?

How about using your own money for the time being? This is something I've always been prepared to do if it means getting things done.

It will not cost a lot to make a temporary job to those sills, and will possibly save on a more expensive outlay in a couple of years time.

Its your property.

Sponsored Links
I'd be taking on the mindset that your property isn't just an external decoration.

If the pictures posted are representative of the rest of the property your looking at some fairly major renovation of the window hardwood sill and the stone work.

Both can be repaired, but it won't be quick.

Take the blown wood sill, that will need chopping out and re splicing in a nice new lump of hardwood.

The stone sills will require digging out the joints, wiring brushing or wheel removal of loose paint, Toupret filling and skim, stabizing and then the full paint system. In context the pictures you've shown could be a man weeks work to return to as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back