How many acrow props should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Can someone advise me how many acrow props should I use to support this beam?

I will be reopening the doorway and will install another beam under it for permanent support.

I have 2 acrow props and I wanted to check if they will be enough.

Attachments

• received_289226350606141.jpeg
    received_289226350606141.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 87
  • received_241298808946657.jpeg
    received_241298808946657.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 101
  • received_359868473160048.jpeg
    received_359868473160048.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I would be happy using two as it is only a single opening , most likely of less than a metre wide i take it ?

Hi everyone.

I will be reopening the doorway and will install another beam under it for permanent support.

I have 2 acrow props and I wanted to check if they will be enough.
One, as long as it is supported at the other end. Beams only usually need supporting at their ends. (y)

One, as long as it is supported at the other end. Beams only usually need supporting at their ends. (y)
Thanks @noseall

The other side of the beam sits on a external wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-26-12-28-20-866.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-26-12-28-20-866.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
Surely you need 2 and a needle or one and a strongboy - assuming the opening is being widened beyond the span of the existing.

Surely you need 2 and a needle or one and a strongboy - assuming the opening is being widened beyond the span of the existing.
Thanks
The opening will remain the same width.
Why do I need a needle?

Will putting acrow props directly under the beam close to the doorway I will reopen will not be enough?

Why do you even need an acro then? In your picture the opening is already open and supported. If you want to put a new lintel lower down or something an acrow directly underneath will stop you getting it in. If the opening needs to be lower to accommodate a door lining just infill above with some timber and plasterboard.

The picture is the proposed plans.

Please take a look at the photos on the first post.

Opening is covered with block work and the beam is resting on the padstone

I will need to support the beam in order to reopen the doorway.

Why do you even need an acro then?
An existing lintel is sitting above right where he wishes to open up a new doorway. It is perpendicular to that new doorway, meaning the end of the existing lintel will be floating, one the masonry is removed. He intends putting a strong lintel above the new door opening in order to support the existing lintel end.

Difficult to tell from the photos but my answer's 5.

You need one to support under one end of the existing metal beam, on the other side of the padstone you're about to remove.

Then you need another four with two needles to support the brickwork above the wooden beam as you'll need to remove the brickwork from under this wooden beam and whatever's on the other half of the wall to create the opening for your new lintel/beam(s).

Or if you're intending to leave the wooden lintel in place then you may get away with fewer, as you'll only need to support one skin of the cavity wall. But it's difficult to work out how the intersecting wall on the other side helps or hinders.

Basically just support anything you're taking stuff out from under! It's not complicated.

It looks to me like your new doorway is going to bump into the end of the intersecting wall on the other side (in the yellow room), probably why it was bricked up in the first place. Picture of my interpretation of the photos...
received_241298808946657.jpg

Sorry, didn't see the lintel. One under it and as above, doesn't appear to be much else to worry about but hard to tell.

Fortunately I have a load of acrows and strong boys so I tend to stick then in anywhere I can.

Just saw that the plan does confirm this. So it's going to be a very narrow doorway, also with restricted height due to the beam under the lintel.

It looks to me like your new doorway is going to bump into the end of the intersecting wall on the other side (in the yellow room), probably why it was bricked up in the first place. Picture of my interpretation of the photos...
View attachment 318514
Thanks @Ivor Windybottom

The Wall highlighted on the right is internal and I will plan to move it, so the width will remain as it is ~95cm.

Since the width will not change I am planning on keeping the wooden lintel in place.
I am not bothered about the height.

In summary I will then need

1 - to support the existing beam close to the doorway I will remove
2 + strong boys - to support brickwork above in the place where I will insert pad stones for the new beam which will support the existing beam

Still just the one, if all you are doing is removing the end bearing. Other support may be necessary for other parts of the project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back