How many cores for a cylinder stat?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am taking up some floor in my mum's house to insulate the primary pipes to the hot cylinder. this is quite a job and i want to run a cable for a future cylinder stat at the same time (it does not currently have one and is gravity circ).

Last time i did one (long ago) I used 1mm T&E with a flex outlet plate in the airing cupboard, but I think I heard that modern cyl stats need 3-core. is that right?> What are they usually cabled in? i won't want to take up the floor again to change it.

Sponsored Links
All depends on make and what other controls , some dont need an earth some do depending on other contols you wil need one live in and either 1/2 lives out

also depend if ya have a s or a y plan.. better to have a extra wire tho, ya can always chop it off! :LOL:

I think you are both saying I ought to use 3-core and earth.

Right?

Sponsored Links
Yeah go for that can`t think of any that needed a neutral unless there is some fandangled thing out there for domestic

it might be worth putting in cabling for a fully pumped system, just in case!

yes, but the programmer and pump are down by the boiler, so I think as long as I take the cylinder stat cable down there as well, it could be converted down there. The boiler has its own small room (used to be a much bigger boiler but current one is a Profile 100E)

then your previous post, 3 core and earth, is the way to go.

You only need three cores in total.

You'll probably only connect up two of them, and you're unlikely to use any of them as an earth.

You only need three cores in total.

You'll probably only connect up two of them, and you're unlikely to use any of them as an earth.

Y-plan
HW on from prog to cyl stat, calling (from cyl stat), satisfied (from cyl stat) possibly earth.

As already said, three core plus earth will cover all eventualities.

Do not cut spare conductors though.

As already said, three core plus earth will cover all eventualities.

Do not cut spare conductors though.

Good point. Best way is to sleeve a spare core with yellow/green at both ends and stick them with the earth.

Ok softas considering most systems being put in are Y plans how will be probable that he will only need 2 wires with no eath..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back