How many kWh does a Frigidaire upright freezer use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am desperately trying to reduce my electric bill. I have a Frigidaire freezer in my garage, model: FFU1464D1 and the dataplate gives the following information: Electric Rating Amp 5.0, 60Hz. From this how do I convert to kwh? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Assuming your mains is 110 volts, then If it were to draw 5 amps of current continuously for 1 hour, then it would consume 550 watts or just over 1/2 KwH. (Half of one kilowatt hour). However, the motor will not be running continuously, so actual consumption will be less. There are some very reasonably priced devices around which allow you to check the consumption of single items by having them plugged into the mains and then plug your appliance into it. (Like plugging into a time switch.)

A warning. If you are going to be switching a fridge or freezer on and off to do this, after switching off, be sure to wait a few minutes to allow the pressure in the gas circuit to reduce before switching on. (The compressor will not like trying to start up with the gas already under pressure and could burn out the motor or trip a safety cut-out).

If you are thinking about cutting your energy bills, concentrate on appliances that heat or cool the house, or heat water. Including washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers, hot tubs, patio heaters, showers, water heaters. Nothing else comes close. Lighting is quite a low usage per individual lamp, but you can (should be able to) buy Energy Saving lamps that use about 80% less electricity. You will notice the difference if you like to have a lot of lamps burning for a long time.

Obviously thick insulation will prevent heat wastage from the house, but if you have enormous windows then you will lose a lot through there. Unfortunately for you, the US has for many years had a cheap energy policy, and this has encouraged wasteful use. This is one of the reasons why American cars, fridges, washing machines etc are not bought in Europe (not an attack, just an observation)

In the UK, most of our energy is used in winter to heat the house. Air conditioning is very rare in ordinary houses. Energy has always been quite expensive so we are mostly quite frugal. For example my gas usage (hot water only) is about 5kWh/day in summer, and between 70 kWh and 100kWh/day (almost all heating) in the coldest three months of the year. This is a reasonable sized house. My electricity is 18 to 20kWh/day all year round, which includes two fridges and one freezer, plus the usual appliances and quite a lot of energy-saving lighting.

I am guessing Pennsylvania is quite a lot colder. Out of interest, the current UK standard is for 250mm of insulation (ten inches) in the loft, although our climate is quite mild. How much do you have?

your fridge is very very unlikely to use the full 5 amps all the time you are likely to be nearer half or less as the start up current is quite high your motor will only run for around 10 mins every hour unless you've filled the fridge or freezer up

Sponsored Links
John D,

All great recommendations and observations. I have switched to a propane tankless water heater. Since I am no longer heating 60 gallons of water at 120 degrees 24/7 I should see some savings here. Also I have installed double panned windows and low E lightbulbs throughout the house. I have insulation in the attic and is around 10 inches. I am not sure what the requirement is but will try to find out. I am also going to price how much it will cost to insulate the garage.

Scott

There's usually less gain from insulating a garage because of the relatively large (and often ill-fitting) garage door.

As a 'rule of thumb', an upright freezer uses twice as much electricity as a similar sized chest freezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back